• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do some people JUST have a mobile phone?"

Collapse

• GreyWolf
    replied
    I suppose Wayne never considered taking a stroll to an area where there was a signal so he could catch up on messages. Nor did his family bother to visit him to break the bad news or get one of those nice people at Royal Mail to pass on a message.

To be fair, it doesn't mention how far away his family lives but if it is too far to travel then perhaps he should have put more effort into keeping in regular contact.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Mobile reception in my house is tulip. We've got a vodafone signal booster thingy, but I'm still on Orange...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The one remaining ZeitPhoneLine is about to have a LifeLine phone thingie added to it.

The ZeitParents use it far more than I do.

I make about 3 phonecalls a year on it, mostly to insurance companies.
    Do they not suspicious at the pattern of house fires?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    I only have a landline because it's required as part of the broadband thing. Ripoff merchants. I get my own back on them by not owning any phones to connect into it, or knowing the number.
    I moved to cable broadband in 2005 so didn't need a landline for internet any more and sacked it.

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    All comms via mobile or email. Can't imagine what would happen if the signal vanished for 3 weeks though.
    I'd manage with e-mail I suppose and if push came to shove there's a public call box 100 yards away.

Both my phone and iPad are email capable when I'm out and about and can find a free wifi hotspot. Until recently you had to buy something in a cafe or restaurant for free access, but truly free access points are becoming more widely available for an hour at a time in for example my local Coop.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    A use pigeons as their secondary message is always as useful as the main one...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I have it all, landline with 4 different numbers, mobile with 2 numbers and 2 SIM cards although one is in the laptop, semaphore flags, 2 tin cans joined with a piece of string and a supply of long distance runners....

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    But no email either?
    Nope - in-laws ditched the landline and stuck with a basic PAYG mobile. No email, no internet, nothing fancy.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    I only have a landline because it's required as part of the broadband thing. Ripoff merchants. I get my own back on them by not owning any phones to connect into it, or knowing the number.

All comms via mobile or email. Can't imagine what would happen if the signal vanished for 3 weeks though.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    You'd think it'd be harder to get a mobile. At least with a landline, they know for certain where you live.

Like a lot of people I only really have a landline for the broadband.
    Pay as you go.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Plenty of people with a poor credit rating can't get a landline.
    You'd think it'd be harder to get a mobile. At least with a landline, they know for certain where you live.

Like a lot of people I only really have a landline for the broadband.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Damon View Post
    Get them on Skype and save line rental
    The cost of line rental is worth the financial disincentive to relatives considering phoning me.

Leave a comment:

• Damon
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    My landline is used for incoming calls from family abroad.
    Get them on Skype and save line rental

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I have a mobile phone, email, 120Mbps cable, no landline. Got rid of the landline about 4 years ago and saved the BT rental. don't even have a Virgin phone (or TV).

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Damon View Post
    I JUST have a mobile phone but it has email too

Landline at home is just for broadband; I don't know the actual number.

The BT engineer said he hardly ever goes into a household that uses the landline as phone these days.
    My landline is used for incoming calls from family abroad.

Leave a comment:

• Damon
    replied
    I JUST have a mobile phone but it has email too

Landline at home is just for broadband; I don't know the actual number.

The BT engineer said he hardly ever goes into a household that uses the landline as phone these days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X