• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Lemsip "Max"

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lemsip "Max""

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    A lot of countries force drugs makers to put the antidote to paracetamol poisoning in the paracetamol pills, making it much harder to kill yourself with them, the antidote stops it messing up your liver while doing nothing to stop the therapeutic affect etc – the only reason they don’t do that here is the very small additional cost per pill which has always sounded crazy to me. As little as a 25 % overdose of paracetamol can kill you, so you need to be very wary of anything you take that may have paracetamol without you being aware of it. One of the worst aspects of death by paracetamol overdose, especially those who do suicide this way, is that its routine to wake up in hospital and be “fine” and conscious for a few days while being unsavable and dying from liver failure, so many live a few days regretting their overdose but too late for the medics to do anything.

Nasty stuff.
    ^ indeed.

Good post.

I agree that it's just bonkers not to make all paracetemol the "safe" type. Well, not so much bonkers as criminal.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Repeat until you feel better.

And take the ibuprofen.
    Just have one I think, or Ill end up rather drunk, don't have ibuprofen either.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Only had cognac, no cloves so made it with Cognac, manuka honey hot water and slice of lemon. Very nice.
    Repeat until you feel better.

And take the ibuprofen.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Stick cloves in a slice of lemon in the whisky.
    Only had cognac, no cloves so made it with Cognac, manuka honey hot water and slice of lemon. Very nice.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    A lot of countries force drugs makers to put the antidote to paracetamol poisoning in the paracetamol pills, making it much harder to kill yourself with them, the antidote stops it messing up your liver while doing nothing to stop the therapeutic affect etc – the only reason they don’t do that here is the very small additional cost per pill which has always sounded crazy to me. As little as a 25 % overdose of paracetamol can kill you, so you need to be very wary of anything you take that may have paracetamol without you being aware of it. One of the worst aspects of death by paracetamol overdose, especially those who do suicide this way, is that its routine to wake up in hospital and be “fine” and conscious for a few days while being unsavable and dying from liver failure, so many live a few days regretting their overdose but too late for the medics to do anything.

Nasty stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Good idea, I have some Manuka honey and and whisky, will give it a try.
    Stick cloves in a slice of lemon in the whisky.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    And you can get pissed:

Good idea, I have some Manuka honey and and whisky, will give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What's the red bit?
    Looks like a shredded balloon..

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What's the red bit?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    And you can get pissed:

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    Remember that you can double team paracetamol and ibuprofen, so that you don't overdose... And yes the supermarket own brands are no different to the more expensive ones!
    No, fancy packaging is more effective.

The end of homeopathy? – Bad Science

The placebo response is about far more than the pills – it is about the cultural meaning of a treatment, our expectation, and more. So we know that four sugar pills a day will clear up ulcers quicker than two sugar pills, we know that a saltwater injection is a more effective treatment for pain than a sugar pill, we know that green sugar pills are more effective for anxiety than red, and we know that brand packaging on painkillers increases pain relief.

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    The Vicks First Defence stuff is pretty good...

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Remember that you can double team paracetamol and ibuprofen, so that you don't overdose... And yes the supermarket own brands are no different to the more expensive ones!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    All these new flavours aren't right. It's supposed to taste horrid - as a kid I remember barely being able to drink the stuff.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It is designed to take money off idiots.

How much did they cost?
    It was this one, look at the nice box and festive flavour, I couldn't resist.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X