• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vino to accompany Xmas dinner?"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Let us know if you have a nice rack nearer the time...
    I am hoping I can get hold of one.

May need to come up with a plan b, just in case.

I do like a nice rack

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Let us know if you have a nice rack nearer the time...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    This year I'm doing venison rack as as the main and have earmarked a nice bordeaux to accompany that. Starter is most likely going to be langoustines with buerre blanc, so a nice pouilly fume with that. Dessert is looking likely to be a baked alaska, with an Austrian Beerenauslese.
    Family tradition for me is a nip of whisky with smoked salmon and soda bread in the morning ( usually after mass), Mr N's family usually raise a glass of fizz at midday.

So, currently trying to source lots of half bottles of decent plonk.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I love those tins of sweets, but consider them too expensive

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    The kids will be up at 5 am so I usually have all the good stuff drunk by 7:30. It usually ends up as whatever the petrol station sells. And Mrs OG always looks forward to her traditional seasonal gift of a tin of travel sweets and 5 litres of semi-synthetic engine oil.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    We normally start with Champagne, go onto a nice white Rhone with the hors d'oeuvres and a Burgundy with the mains. I know I'm missing stuff but we only tend to drink French wine at home. This Christmas the FiL has bought me three bottles of Nuits St Georges as an early present. Top man.

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    Whatever goes best with turkey dinosaurs and chips

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I always go for a good Burgundy if I'm having Turkey, can't go wrong as it's a lighter option to claret.

Either that or a good kiwi pinot.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Last year we had an Australian sparking cava that had been fortified with ice wine, I can’t find the name of it but it was really nice & worked well with the whole meal.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    Homebrew from a kit does me. Carefully decanted into 3 litre tinted cider bottles if it's a red then left to age for at least 2 weeks. It is surprisingly good and easy to do provided you buy a kit with decent grape extract. If you manage to keep it for 4-5 months it really is a decent drink.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    I thought Veuve Clicquot and Red Bull would have been more your type
    Veuve yes Actually, in case anyone cares it's £30 a bottle in both Tesco & Sainsburys at the moment.

Red Bull

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    One of my faves.
    I thought Veuve Clicquot and Red Bull would have been more your type

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    I've stocked up on Passion Has Red Lips and Squids Fist. Also Jim Barrie McRae Wood, Catena Malbec (from good old Waitrose) and some of my favourite Chateauneuf du Pape. Whites are just Oyster Bay varieties for the ladies.
    One of my faves.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Got a couple of bottles of Pape for £10 each and some cheap but nice champers as well as prosecco... often prefer this to champagne actually.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    I've stocked up on Passion Has Red Lips and Squids Fist. Also Jim Barrie McRae Wood, Catena Malbec (from good old Waitrose) and some of my favourite Chateauneuf du Pape. Whites are just Oyster Bay varieties for the ladies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X