• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "secutiry here to stay?"

Collapse

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Only a matter of time before they start swallowing 1kg of semtex in condoms with a microtransmitter.

Expect not just handluggage, suitcases, keys etc to go through the x-ray scanner but us as well...
    Shut up! I wouldn't mind boarding on a plane to Stockholm with 100 naked swedish nurses on a special conference day.

Now, I wouldn't board on a plane to San Francisco - that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Only a matter of time before they start swallowing 1kg of semtex in condoms with a microtransmitter.

Expect not just handluggage, suitcases, keys etc to go through the x-ray scanner but us as well...

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Oh dear - I haven't thought about the mandatory full cavity inspection.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Its either prawn grown brain of a monkey, or vice versa...

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Everyone board naked. That's the answer.
    Dim we are amazing. We MCSD can communicate telepathically. .NET, go beyond your ordinary senses.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    I would suggest that all people boarding the plane should travel naked.

Ah, that would never happen in puritain Britain!!!! damn!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Everyone board naked. That's the answer.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Phoenix
    Did you mean: security
    Yes, that's waht I menat.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Think about the upside, getting on and off planes is going to be a heck of a lot faster now since you wont have to wait for all those feckers with 10 bags each to get out of the way!
    No chance - quickest time I was out of a plane and on the beach was when I had stuffed all my clothes into my hand luggage.

Now, I'll have to join the myriad of gurning travesties that seem to pack their entire houses, including the madatory suitcase full of Heinz Baked Beans just in case the local food is a little spicy (the dirty, dirty bastards), fighting to the death for luggage carousel space while avoiding the lawsuit as the feckless parents, who seem to think that a luggage carousel is a State provided playground for their kids, complain that little Jimmy is lying on the other side of the room with a dislocated jaw because I was lifting a heavy suitcase off the carousel and he happened to be sitting on it at the time.

And breath.....

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    No chance. BAA makes a big chunk of its profits from the retailers who pay through the nose for a captive market (i.e. the departure area of a major airport). BAA (and the retailers) will be lobbying hard for the removal of these measures, and there may even be a small Party donation involved, and we'll be back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    I first flew in 1973. I walked straight on the plane at Heathrow: there was no security check. Not long after, the PLO invented ransom hijacking and used it at Heathrow. Security checks came in and have been with us ever since.

Nothing but your wallet with passport and ticket. Is that going to be with us on every flight from now on?

Did you mean: security

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife
    The problem with books especially thick ones is that it shows on the handluggage xray as dense organic material - as does plastic explosive.
    Well, you need good detonator for those - that's why I think no electronic equipment ban is going to stay, perhaps not this time but when first airplane goes down due to liquid stuff plus iPod you can be damn sure they will ban those. Its pretty sh1t situation to be in - the attacker can choose place, time and method, yet security has got to cover everything. Big thanks for Iraq war.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I am sure they will allow books on board - they can be XRays easily and can be shown to have or not to have anything dodgy in them.
    The problem with books especially thick ones is that it shows on the handluggage xray as dense organic material - as does plastic explosive.

It's generally obvious what it is but I reckon from now on they will have to be taken out of the bag and you'll have to flick through the pages.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    I'm just speculating about the difference it might make.
    Well for me its a bit of a bummer because I am used to putting most heavy stuff (books) into my hand luggage and I am certainly not very keen at handling of my laptop in Russian airports, but I can't see any alternative - anything that can be used to detonate a bomb (electronic equipment) is likely to be banned forever, they will probably have to ensure electric sockets on board are also disabled.

No fluids is definately going to stay, unless they put in place much more advanced explosive detectors, but even so - complete lack of fluids on board will give peace of mind.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Think about the upside, getting on and off planes is going to be a heck of a lot faster now since you wont have to wait for all those feckers with 10 bags each to get out of the way!

And anyone know what they are doing with duty free? Can you still buy or is everything shut since you cant take anything on board with you?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X