• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Adults to get foster care"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    The state is the parent. What kind of parent turfs their kids out the door at 18.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Greywolf you aren't the he.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Idiot.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    Then by all means, feel free to donate to them.
    Idiot.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Then by all means, feel free to donate to them.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Foster carers are classified as 'service providers'. Regardless of how attached they may have become to the kid, it's unreasonable to expect them to support someone else's, often problematic, child/young adult out of their own pocket.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I'm not letting any bugger on here suckle on my breast...
    Just think of it as free breast cancer screening

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's a very good policy actually - half the posters on here should be put into proper adult care provided by the other half of posters.
    I'm not letting any bugger on here suckle on my breast...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Is this a crazy policy, or is it just me?
    It's a very good policy actually - half the posters on here should be put into proper adult care provided by the other half of posters.

Leave a comment:

• GreyWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Don't be sensible.

The fact that those who have been in the care system may need lots more help than the average 18 year old is not what he wants to hear.
    I am not sure if I am meant to be the "he" referred to above but there isn't anything I particular "want to hear" or not hear. I am not questioning the wisdom of the proposal*, just the way it has been presented. The proposal is to extend fostering to 21 but a lot of the reporting has concentrated on this "not allowed" line which is irrelevant to the story. If the proposal was to reduce from 21 to 18 you could also almost understand it being reported as "not allowing fostering after 18" in an attempt to sex-up the story in the same misleading way that the so-called bedroom tax was presented but this is the exact opposite.

It's as if they've looked at the story, found nothing negative about it so they've gone with reporting some hypothetical current scenarios (without any examples) and just forgetting to mention that the new regulations are intended to avoid those situations happening.

Trouble with these stories is that commentators start competing to show how much holier than the next man they can be.

*On balance, it seems a reasonably sound idea so far as it goes. There's an element of kicking the can 3 years down the road but that might be enough to help some people.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by aardvark View Post
    Or the council may expect them to take in a new child now that they're no longer employed to look after the 18 year old.
    Don't be sensible.

The fact that those who have been in the care system may need lots more help than the average 18 year old is not what he wants to hear.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    It doesn't give than an equal footing, it gives them an unequal footing! Real parents don't get state aid for letting an adult son or daughter live with them.
    I'm all for free speech, but not in this case.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Having my thoughts coloured by knowing a few people who are foster carers, I don't think it's a bad way to waste money

At least it something preventative that could cause less costs to the state further down the line

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Adults to get foster care
    Who's going to take Suity in?

Leave a comment:

• aardvark
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyWolf View Post
    I had the same thought about the way it was being presented as being "not allowed to stay" with the foster parents. The media seemed to be trying to conjure up an image of jackbooted council enforcers calling round to eighteenth birthday parties to cart off any violators of the new regulations.

The reality, of course, is that the foster parents may, or may not, boot them out of the house once the cheques stop. Nothing new there.
    Or the council may expect them to take in a new child now that they're no longer employed to look after the 18 year old.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X