• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Germany beats Britain – again (really?)"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Ah, I see. So they think that Farage isn't intelligent and they don't like the fact that he's getting a hearing.

I find it amusing that UKIP only has MEPs as the electorate don't give a diddly squat who they put into Strasbourg / Brussels.
    The original quote was a UK journalist, I have no real idea what Germans think of him as he's not important enough for the media here although:

In 1999 the BBC spent four months filming a documentary about his European election campaign but did not show it. Farage, then head of the UKIP's South East office, asked for a video and had friends make illegal copies which were sold for £5 through the UKIP's magazine. Surrey Trading Standards investigated and Farage has admitted the offence.
    So the UKIP were the original Pirates, how do they stand on torrents and the like?

Farage has threatened to take legal action if he is excluded from any televised party leaders' debates at the next general election.
    This opens the way for any crackpot to get on television.

Farage is a smoker. In his early 20s, Farage was diagnosed with testicular cancer but made a full recovery.
    Still a heavy smoker and, IIRC, isn't their policy to allow smoking in public places again?

Personally I think he's just like most other politicians, just out to get what he wants and doesn't give a turd about the electorate...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Ah, I see. So they think that Farage isn't intelligent and they don't like the fact that he's getting a hearing.

I find it amusing that UKIP only has MEPs as the electorate don't give a diddly squat who they put into Strasbourg / Brussels.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Then they are very selective when they choose their politicians. What about Bernd Lucke and the As Alternative Für Deutschland party?

He's a German Farage.

BBC News - Germany's new anti-euro AfD party causes political stir
    Not quite, he is actually intelligent along with some of the other top people in the AfD however the party itself will probably come to nothing (there's a lot of these weird minority, yet serious political parties in Germany) as was shown in the recent election where they didn't win diddley squat (actually there was a similar party previously, the Pro-DM party which fared the same fate.) What you do have though is quite a violent opposition to them with activists both verbally and in some cases physically attacking them over their seemingly nationalistic stance (unlike the UK where there's just a drunken Scottish student throwing beer over Farage.) I wouldn't expect to hear to much about them... Alternative for Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    ha!

"One important element has surely been forgotten: The virtual absence in Germany of political crackpots like Farage, Wilders, Le Pen, Berlusconi, Palin et all."
    Then they are very selective when they choose their politicians. What about Bernd Lucke and the As Alternative Für Deutschland party?

He's a German Farage.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23847838

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I understood Max Planck originated quantum theory, which won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
    I think you'll find that while Planck proposed energy quanta to explain observed black body radiation, and in that sense 'originated' quantum theory, there was considerably more work involved in laying the foundations of modern science you were talking about.

Quantum theory as we know it was much more of a joint effort than relativity.
    Last edited by doodab; 19 November 2013, 07:36.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Might be wrong but wasn't Einstein born before Modern Germany and therefore ipso facto wasn't German per se, but (googling....)....

..a Württemburger....

Not relevant to the point, but interesting, Germany is relatively new Country, as is Italy...
    Was thinking along the same lines,

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    it was first observed by some bloke called Hertz

I believe Heisenberg and Born came up with the name 'quantum mechanics' though there were lots of others like Dirac, Bohr, Plank, Pauli, Schrodinger, de Broglie who made major contributions.
    I understood Max Planck originated quantum theory, which won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    A Jew who fled Germany, you absolute moron.
    Might be wrong but wasn't Einstein born before Modern Germany and therefore ipso facto wasn't German per se, but (googling....)....

..a Württemburger....

Not relevant to the point, but interesting, Germany is relatively new Country, as is Italy...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Who dreamt up the photoelectric effect?
    it was first observed by some bloke called Hertz

Who originated quantum theory?
    I believe Heisenberg and Born came up with the name 'quantum mechanics' though there were lots of others like Dirac, Bohr, Plank, Pauli, Schrodinger, de Broglie who made major contributions.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I think he might be dead whereas those mentioned aren't, yet!
    Give it time

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    ha!

"One important element has surely been forgotten: The virtual absence in Germany of political crackpots like Farage, Wilders, Le Pen, Berlusconi, Palin et all."
    just had to be done

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Hitler?
    I think he might be dead whereas those mentioned aren't, yet!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    ha!

Hitler?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    ha!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Yeah, a German would never have thought of that!!!

apparently

Leave a comment:

Working...
X