• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Superhighway to heaven"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    The cycle lanes a a bit of a joke really, they're not clearly marked and way too small, especially the ones around the east end.

Call me a cynic but it's not just the cycle lanes to blame, there's no clear code of conduct where cyclists are concerned and there are less rights, but I've seen one too many cyclists run red lights and go on the blind side of lorries or buses. I ended up being witness to one such accident whereby the cyclist in question was lucky she screamed so loud and the drivers window was open when the truck knocked her over as there was no way he could have seen her.

It is terrible that there have been accidents, but half-arsed attempts at cycle lanes aint going to cut it, but also cyclists need to pay more attention to traffic rules.

In cloggers, yes we have proper cycle lanes that barely touch main roads, but cyclists have more rights and woe betide you hit one, that's not to say they are saints, but the laws are pretty rigid on rights for cyclists.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    C2 is my commute - I can honestly say although this time of year is usually bad I have never seen it this bad.

Morning at 5.30am is ok but for a few ninja cyclists, its like wackey races in the evenings.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    And what happens if MF decides to cycle?
    er, well I'm sure he isn't that podgy. But any cyclist who was would have to take care to stay inside the cycle lane.

So not only does this idea keep cars outside the cycle lane, it stops overweight cyclists veering into the road!

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    If lanes are definitely to be reserved for cyclists, it's pretty obvious how to keep out vehicles:

Embed small landmine-shaped gadgets along the lane edge in the road so that if anything heavier than a pedestrian or cyclist drives over it, then a spring loaded plate will subside leaving one or more metal spikes to protrude through its centre and puncture the tyre.

Then heavily fine any drivers stuck at the side of the road with a puncture caused by one of these caltrop contraptions
    And what happens if MF decides to cycle?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Red bricks?

Ja I do ring the bell at some tourists. Some of them nearly collapse with fright.
    Where I go to they have red bricks marking the cycle "ring ring, outta my way muthaflucker" lanes

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    and woe betide any German or unknowing tourist pedestrian who happens to be stood on the red bricks whilst waiting to cross the road.
    Red bricks?

Ja I do ring the bell at some tourists. Some of them nearly collapse with fright.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Another death last night - 2 deaths in 2 days on "Superhighway 2".

5 cyclist deaths in 9 days on London's roads.

BBC News - Cyclist dies after Whitechapel Road bus collision

Haven't seen these 'superhighways' - it sounds like 'more effort required'
    If lanes are definitely to be reserved for cyclists, it's pretty obvious how to keep out vehicles:

Embed small landmine-shaped gadgets along the lane edge in the road so that if anything heavier than a pedestrian or cyclist drives over it, then a spring loaded plate will subside leaving one or more metal spikes to protrude through its centre and puncture the tyre.

Then heavily fine any drivers stuck at the side of the road with a puncture caused by one of these caltrop contraptions

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Or just both parties pay a bit more attention & stop acting like dicks who own the road
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Fook that. Why would you use your bicycle in that city?

A cycle path not far from me below - why does London city not have them?

and woe betide any German or unknowing tourist pedestrian who happens to be stood on the red bricks whilst waiting to cross the road.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Fook that. Why would you use your bicycle in that city?

A cycle path not far from me below - why does London city not have them?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    He added there were 69 pedestrian deaths last year but that pedestrians do not have as strong a voice in the media.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Or just both parties pay a bit more attention & stop acting like dicks who own the road
    A system that relies on lots of fallible human beings to do the right thing 100% of the time is inherently broken.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Sounds more like physical separation of incompatible traffic streams required.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Sounds more like physical separation of incompatible traffic streams required.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    started a topic Superhighway to heaven

Superhighway to heaven

Another death last night - 2 deaths in 2 days on "Superhighway 2".

5 cyclist deaths in 9 days on London's roads.

BBC News - Cyclist dies after Whitechapel Road bus collision

Working...
X