• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oh the whitewash

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh the whitewash"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    And then a bloke came and adjusted the padlock. Besides, if you can close it from the inside, you can open it from the inside, ...
    Not necessarily if you're bundled up like a turkey, with constrained arms, and you accidently drop the key out of reach (which I speculated on in my earlier post)

and is the holdall really strong enough to make it impossible to break the seams from the inside, using the full force of one's legs? ...
    If tightly constrained you can't necessarily use your biggest muscles to full effect or at all. I mean for example suppose you were slid into a cardboard tube with your arms at your side, and (in this example) unable to twist them backwards or forwards round your body. How much outward force could you exert with your arms? Not much, I'd suggest.

I still find it a bit far fetched that there was nobody else involved.
    Yes, that does seem likely, but wouldn't they have been recorded on CCTV? (The "Mediterranean couple" reported on at the time were later traced and it turned out they had been attending a party in the building. So presumably they weren't involved.)

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    On LBC now.

I can smell the lime.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    And this one. Apparently there is a special way of locking from the outside before pulling the zips together.

Woman locks herself in holdall identical to one in which MI6 officer was found - video | UK news | theguardian.com
    And then a bloke came and adjusted the padlock. Besides, if you can close it from the inside, you can open it from the inside, and is the holdall really strong enough to make it impossible to break the seams from the inside, using the full force of one's legs?

I still find it a bit far fetched that there was nobody else involved.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    two people for the coroner.

however a third person later managed it.
    And this one. Apparently there is a special way of locking from the outside before pulling the zips together.

Woman locks herself in holdall identical to one in which MI6 officer was found - video | UK news | theguardian.com

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Not to mention WHY! even if someone could why would one?
    Strange are the ways of men

Have you seen that film Personal Services (1987), in which one of the punters likes being locked in a wardrobe?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    maybe he didn't like Citrus fruits?

MP 'was worried over tarnished television image': Coroner records misadventure verdict on Milligan - UK - News - The Independent

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Didn't they get someone who was rather good at that sort of thing to try it, and conclude that it was extremely difficult, near impossible?
    Not to mention WHY! even if someone could why would one?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Didn't they get someone who was rather good at that sort of thing to try it, and conclude that it was extremely difficult, near impossible?
    two people for the coroner.

however a third person later managed it.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    The strange circumstances he was found in suggest it was just some role play thingie that went horribly wrong, perhaps as simple as dropping and being unable to retrieve the padlock key while stuck inside the bag. Seems a slightly infantile carry on if so, but then when it comes to sex I guess there's no accounting for tastes.

Surely if some foreign intelligence agency wanted to bump him off or kidnap him, wouldn't it have been much easier and more reliable, with less risk of being recorded on pesky CCTV, to off him or grab him (as required) in a suitable street?

edit: and if third party/parties had been present as part of the role playing (perhaps to secure him and then go and watch TV for half an hour) then it's all too understandable they would have simply hoofed it once they realised he had suffocated.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 13 November 2013, 15:56.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Yes, and so the idea that there was nobody else involved is not a very reasonable assumption.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I would suggest that if the padlock was on the outside, that constitutes sufficient evidence to go with the hypothesis that there was someone else involved, unless it can be demonstrated that the chappy in the bag was an exceptionally accomplished circus act.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I would suggest that if the padlock was on the outside, that constitutes sufficient evidence to go with the hypothesis that there was someone else involved, unless it can be demonstrated that the chappy in the bag was an exceptionally accomplished circus act.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    MI6 Spy in a bag Gareth Williams 'probably locked himself inside it' - London - News - London Evening Standard

was he related to Doctor 'blunt penknife' Kelly?

'The British Police are the best in the world'?
    You can add John Brown who just happened to book a room next to mossad
    And Robin Cook I will tell you what Blair said

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    My first question is WHY would someone lock themselves in a holdall? Answer: They wouldn't so lets continue on that premise.

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    what someone he allegedly called a Pleb?

agree stinks to high heaven.
    He was locked in a holdall and despite the coroner investigating it they ruled it out as unlikely he could lock himself in. No Friends / lovers have mentioned it was his 'thing'. Sorry if you were in to that someone would have
    The house had fingerprints everywhere from many hands & years, the bath was surgically clean.
    He worked for the security services and had a secret obsession.
    the security services denied it vehemently.
    I think it was probably covered up in the interests of national security

Leave a comment:

Working...
X