• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So another Tory Government"

Collapse

• masonryan
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    BBC News - Bank of England says the UK recovery has taken hold

If that continues it will pretty much win the next general election. They have dealt with the economy. What will Balls et all moan about now?
    The Labour party will always create new victims, then pose as their saviour and throw more taxpayers money at them while they feed at the trough themselves. It's what they do.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I think you'll find that its the British government. A recent report (which I can't find now) showed that Britain is the country that follows the most Brussels edicts, Why? I can't explain...

BTW, for those who say that the EU pushes its laws onto the UK, its true bit its not as bad as in some countries. The following is from 2012 showing the percentage of EU law that is UK law:

UK – 15.5%
    Denmark – 14%
    Austria – 10.6%
    Germany – 39.1%

An easy to read article on EU law and how it is implemented in the UK: BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Q&A: How UK adopts EU laws
    UK policitians don't want us to know that and to know the fact they work in cross-country political groups to get certain laws as EU legislation.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What you seem to be saying there is that other EU countries don't let themselves get pushed around by Brussels, and I think that's largely true. So why does Britain let itself get pushed around? Is that the fault of the EU or the British government?
    I think you'll find that its the British government. A recent report (which I can't find now) showed that Britain is the country that follows the most Brussels edicts, Why? I can't explain...

BTW, for those who say that the EU pushes its laws onto the UK, its true bit its not as bad as in some countries. The following is from 2012 showing the percentage of EU law that is UK law:

UK – 15.5%
    Denmark – 14%
    Austria – 10.6%
    Germany – 39.1%

An easy to read article on EU law and how it is implemented in the UK: BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Q&A: How UK adopts EU laws

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    So actually, what YOU want is a free trade zone, and what I want is a free trade zone, and what lots of other tory bastards (as some would call us) like you and me all over northern Europe want is a free trade zone, but we can't yet agree on the mechanism to achieve that?
    The obvious mechanism would be to leave the one we have alone and stop trying to **** it up.

Interestingly, there is an example where harmonization of tax rates has actually worked out quite well, customs tariffs for goods entering the single market.
    Last edited by doodab; 13 November 2013, 16:48.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Exactly. Markets are controlled by the large corporates aided and abetted by EU legislation that piles huge costs onto new companies entering markets.
    Legislation isn't the reason for widespread market failures in the real world. Most existing markets, even fairly competitive ones, have a high cost of entry even before legislative burden is considered, and much legislation is aimed at keeping markets free and transparent and preventing their abuse as well as protecting the consumer from sharp practices.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    There are lots of good things the EU does and I would accept your point. The debate is should these policies (along with the bad ones) be legalised by a third party? There are common standards of training and skills (the UK is the only country that charters its engineers) that indeed make it easier for business to happen within the EU. If we sign up to these we can expect our companies to be able to compete effectively for contracts.
    So actually, what YOU want is a free trade zone, and what I want is a free trade zone, and what lots of other tory bastards (as some would call us) like you and me all over northern Europe want is a free trade zone, but we can't yet agree on the mechanism to achieve that?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    She does seem to represent German interests, and for that alone I respect her just wish our politicians would represent our interests
    The trouble with doing that is that they wouldn't be able to go on blaming the EU for their own failings.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    You think we have free markets ?

corporatism /= capitalism
    No. I think idealised free markets that underpin popular thought on the matter don't and can't exist in most real word situations.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Again I think you're wrong there; the mood in Berlin, the Hague, Copenhagen and Warsaw, or among the electorates that put centre and centre right parties in power in the 'sensible countries' of the north is absolutely NOT about handing more power to the EU; to the contrary in fact, with the notable exception of one German foreign minister who made a bit of a prat of himself at the last big conference saying that Britain had to be in fully or not at all, and was promptly put in his place by Frau Merkel who sees things in a rather more nuanced way. I think you'd like her actually; she's a Tory.
    She does seem to represent German interests, and for that alone I respect her just wish our politicians would represent our interests

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Exactly. Markets are controlled by the large corporates aided and abetted by EU legislation that piles huge costs onto new companies entering markets.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Is DA complaining about outcomes created by free markets?

I think I need to go and lie down.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    I don't know how any of you lot can be so equivocal about the EU.

It is a corrupt, undemocratic behemoth from whose shackles we must free ourselves at the earliest opportunity.

Yes, the CBI and captains of big business warn against pulling out and understandably so; the EU actively furthers their globalist agenda in which power and wealth is concentrated in the hands of a tiny elite and the rest of us continue our move towards modern day serfdom.

Though we voted to join a free trade bloc, the ultimate goal was always a federal state but this minor fact has always been kept back from the public and that is a complete and utter disgrace.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    ...the ultimate goal was always a federal state ...
    If it ever was the ultimate goal, it isn't now. I think if you chat with people on the continental side of the North Sea you'll find out that that isn't going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    replied
    I don't know how any of you lot can be so equivocal about the EU.

It is a corrupt, undemocratic behemoth from whose shackles we must free ourselves at the earliest opportunity.

Yes, the CBI and captains of big business warn against pulling out and understandably so; the EU actively furthers their globalist agenda in which power and wealth is concentrated in the hands of a tiny elite and the rest of us continue our move towards modern day serfdom.

Though we voted to join a free trade bloc, the ultimate goal was always a federal state but this minor fact has always been kept back from the public and that is a complete and utter disgrace.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    At the same time there should be a mechanism by which we can pull away without having to resort to leaving the EU.
    Ah, now we're getting somewhere; isn't that precisely the kind of thing that CMD wants on the table? I think you'll find that the leaders of Europe's non-basketcase economies agree with you on that, and it's precisely the kind of concession that they may well be prepared to give to keep Britain on board, because they'd rather like something like that themselves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X