• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New car

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New car"

Collapse

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Jaaaaaaag XF 3.0D S

That is all
    That's what I've been looking at for my next car. The estate version.

My wife seems to think that just because I bought my current car (A6 estate) a few months ago that I shouldn't be looking yet.

Is there a whiplash smiley?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    WHS. Never ask your wife's opinion on buying a car. Just go and buy what you want; she can get her own.
    Oh I don't know, I did (*) and she's more than happy although she did want to go back to Mercs as the star at the front helps her in parking and running over OAPs until I pointed out that they don't have them anymore. It does mean though that I have to buy her a car: Frog-eyed Sprite!

(*) the person I have to ask is my accountant...

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    WHS. Never ask your wife's opinion. Just go and buy what you want.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    Man up! PUSSY!!!
    WHS. Never ask your wife's opinion on buying a car. Just go and buy what you want; she can get her own.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Jaaaaaaag XF 3.0D S

That is all

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    My extension will be spent on this

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    A new BMW 320D - 60-70 mpg, zero tax and 184 bhp.

I was going to suggest a slightly older 520d

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    I find the ask john section of the honestjohn website very good for this sort of thing. Search facility is quite good but you'll probably find that he's recommended something along the lines of the peugeot ahead of what the other one was.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post

I never buy new, I'll let someone else take the initial big depreciation hit.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Is this one of those services where somebody buys the car for you for a fee? Do you even turn up at the auction?
    Just pay a fee and leave them to it. Costs about £500 all in and saves. £1500-£2000 on forecourt price

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    She gets annoyed when cars arrive unannounced especially due to the way I buy them (professional buyer at auction to avoid hidden damage) and then sell the existing one.

Car hunting at lunchtime to look at options...
    Is this one of those services where somebody buys the car for you for a fee? Do you even turn up at the auction?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    You ASKED your wife?

She gets annoyed when cars arrive unannounced especially due to the way I buy them (professional buyer at auction to avoid hidden damage) and then sell the existing one.

Car hunting at lunchtime to look at options...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

She instead suggested

Any suggestions or should I stick to my guns...
    You ASKED your wife?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    So I need a new car for commutes as its currently a 130 round trip on the motorway. Don't need anything fancy just minimum 4 seats, diesel and 50mpg plus.

Any suggestions or should I stick to my guns...
    I have a 5 seater, diesel that does 50mpg+, might have been in a small bump that the owner is aware off and a larger one that the previous owner failed to fix properly.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X