• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Twitter IPO

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Twitter IPO"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Too much noise. Not enough signal. It's a conduit for mindless drivel.
    And how that affects ethics in any way?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Of course it's taking on some risk which I am comfortable with. If you don't want a punt (any risk) then you will also limit your rewards, you may as well buy US bonds and be happy with your tiny return. Twitter is not going to go under in the next few years and it has potential to make huge amounts of profit in advertising and selling its firehose for analysis, it has limited costs due to the content all being generated by users.
    Punt implies a high level of risk, which is exactly what this is. If your target price is $100, you are indeed a Billy Bunter.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Twitter is an absolute punt on the fundamentals, reminiscent of the dotcom boom. But that doesn't mean you can't make money from stagging the shares or even from holding them long-term and gambling on their current rapid rate of earnings growth to continue. Afterall, Facebook also didn't look too clever until recently. There's a couple of things that put me off, though. First, I don't like investing in businesses where the fundamentals require such a high degree of extrapolation and assumption, and this puts me off a long-term investment. Second, as a retail investor, you're at a strong disadvantage in terms of stagging the shares, and will have to wait until these shares hit the open market, already at a considerable premium on the IPO price (which will, itself, likely rise considerably between now and actual IPO). So, even though the current IPO pricing is somewhat tempting relative to the market froth (not the fundamentals), I won't be investing myself.
    Of course it's taking on some risk which I am comfortable with. If you don't want a punt (any risk) then you will also limit your rewards, you may as well buy US bonds and be happy with your tiny return. Twitter is not going to go under in the next few years and it has potential to make huge amounts of profit in advertising and selling its firehose for analysis, it has limited costs due to the content all being generated by users.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Absolutely +1

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Twitter is an absolute punt on the fundamentals, reminiscent of the dotcom boom. But that doesn't mean you can't make money from stagging the shares or even from holding them long-term and gambling on their current rapid rate of earnings growth to continue. Afterall, Facebook also didn't look too clever until recently. There's a couple of things that put me off, though. First, I don't like investing in businesses where the fundamentals require such a high degree of extrapolation and assumption, and this puts me off a long-term investment. Second, as a retail investor, you're at a strong disadvantage in terms of stagging the shares, and will have to wait until these shares hit the open market, already at a considerable premium on the IPO price (which will, itself, likely rise considerably between now and actual IPO). So, even though the current IPO pricing is somewhat tempting relative to the market froth (not the fundamentals), I won't be investing myself.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What's your ethical problem with Twitter?!?!

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Depends how long you are in it for, as I said above, stick around long term and you will probably make money
    Yeah I see you edited your post after realising it made you sound like a idiot.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    So no share has ever increased by 5 times , have a look at Google (10x in under 10 years), Apple and many others. Twitter is part of everyday life and the potential to make profits is huge, they are currently only scratching the surface.
    Depends how long you are in it for, as I said above, stick around long term and you will probably make money

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    $100 a share, you are having a laugh, top of the offer price range is $20 and if you think they are going to be worth 5 times that you are dumber than a post!
    So no share has ever increased by 5 times , have a look at Google (10x in under 10 years), Apple and many others. Twitter is part of everyday life and the potential to make profits is huge, they are currently only scratching the surface.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Anyone going to buy shares in Twitter when they go public? I am going to get some for my ISA S&S. Can;t see them not going +$100.
    $100 a share, you are having a laugh, top of the offer price range is $20 and if you think they are going to be worth 5 times that you are dumber than a post!

Twitter still has no solid revenue stream and is losing money quarter on quarter, it is a good long term punt if they can sort out some way to make money, those who get in early will also make money
    Last edited by SimonMac; 26 October 2013, 10:02.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    As an ethical investor, no, on principle. I wish Twitter hadn't been invented.
    What's your ethical problem with Twitter?!?!

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Good luck with that, can see you getting burnt

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I'm staying well clear. Too risky for me.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    As an ethical investor, no, on principle. I wish Twitter hadn't been invented.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    started a topic Twitter IPO

Twitter IPO

Anyone going to buy shares in Twitter when they go public? I am going to get some for my ISA S&S. Can;t see them not going +$100.

Working...
X