• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another coffee break"

Collapse

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Waited 3 weeks one time sans laptop or sign-on. Just had 4 months getting splinters so no way I was going to stay off. Settled into having long morning and afternoon coffee breaks with a couple of chaps in the same boat at the on-site costa. Found it very hard to break that habit when the kit did turn up due to the work being beyond boring. Financial crisis hit 3 months later and was given 8 hours notice to leave...
    Not my best contract experience !
    You got paid didn't you?
    Sounds alright for me - like taking a break between contracts, but still being able to invoice for it.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Waited 3 weeks one time sans laptop or sign-on. Just had 4 months getting splinters so no way I was going to stay off. Settled into having long morning and afternoon coffee breaks with a couple of chaps in the same boat at the on-site costa. Found it very hard to break that habit when the kit did turn up due to the work being beyond boring. Financial crisis hit 3 months later and was given 8 hours notice to leave...
    Not my best contract experience !

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Production system at previous place had the same superuser password as the test environment ..... because the database was originally replicated from test.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Not surprised. My laptop HD blew and it took 10 days for the replacement to show up. In the meantime my Lan ID was killed due to lack of use, my VPN account was also killed, and IT began wondering where the old laptop was..I gave it back to them. Two months on, still no sorted.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Most gigs I go in, log into things using default post-install usernames and passwords and create my own accounts.

One place phoned me up four months after I left to ask if I happened to know the usernames and passwords for a production system I had never accessed. Whoops.
    Had a mate who left a company and built a server and left them the local admin password. A few months later someone removed the roles to the server and only way back in was the local admin account. They could not find the password, so called him and he said he could remember it but they would have to pay 500 pound and email confirmation and he will invoice and then provide it. They did as well.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Most gigs I go in, log into things using default post-install usernames and passwords and create my own accounts.

One place phoned me up four months after I left to ask if I happened to know the usernames and passwords for a production system I had never accessed. Whoops.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Some gigs I have gone in and they have given me their login to create my own account, I kid you not

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Last gig I got my remote login token three days before I finished the 8th month contract....

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    7th day completed, no login. Retail sector.

Not worried though as everyone uses everyone elses account anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    Social services contracts, normally all sorted in 48 hours.
    My current NHS gig, I got the call to see if I was available on the Friday lunchtime, started 9 a.m. on Monday and my log in was waiting for me.

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    Social services contracts, normally all sorted in 48 hours.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    maybe they're short administrators.
    Probably because there are no futures in user provisioning.

Probably went long on passwords?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    maybe they're short administrators.
    Probably because there are no futures in user provisioning.

Leave a comment:

• Mephisto
    replied
    Always reminds me the story of a guy I knew started with a bank and all his equipment and logins were waiting for him on gig day 1. The worrying false sense of efficiency soon abated when he tried logging in and they'd set all his profiles wrong which still had a 5 day lead time to rectify.

Love this game sometimes...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Typical bloody private sector inefficiency.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X