• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Woman tried and sentenced without her knowing it"

Collapse

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Are you sure about that?

It would appear to me that it increasingly has.
    Yes and no.

In certain circumstances, legal precedence from jurisdictions including the US and Canada can be used for guidance in determining UK case law, generally where there is no existing UK precedent.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Have a read

Be sure to read the bit about America down the bottom, won't you be a dear?

This is similar to the right to silence clause in the Miranda Warning in the US.
    sim·i·lar
    /ˈsimələr/
    Adjective
    Having a resemblance in appearance, character, or quantity, without being identical
    So does that mean they are the same or different

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Reading the above thread, I'm beginning to think suity and scooterscot are the same person.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    Simpering drivel
    Good so we're agreed.

Man I'm on fire today.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    It is known as being "Mirandarised" here in the UK
    First I've heard of it being used here - I thought the term "under caution" was used in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Have a read

Be sure to read the bit about England and Wales in the middle, won't you dear?

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Miranda rights are conveyed by the arresting officer to the prisoner, but you are nearly right
    No - the suspect already has the rights. The arresting officer reads the rights to remind them of them, so you are nearly right

Befire Miranda v Arizona there was no such thing as rights.
    No - the rights that are conveyed (the right to silence and the right to an attorney) are given by the fifth and sixth amendments to the constitution of the United States, so you are nearly right

In this country you have the "Right to silence"
    No, you don't. You have the right not to say anything but it may harm your defence if you later rely on something that you haven't said. This is significantly different from a right to silence, and was changed in 1994. So you are nearly right

which is the UK implementation of Miranda rights, but it is still Miranda rights none the less.
    No, it isn't. There are other rights which a suspect is read as part of their Miranda rights, which are supplementary to the right to silence, eg the right to a lawyer. These are not part of English law. So you are nearly right

Maybe in Luton. However, if you Google "Mirandarised" and "UK" you get no UK links, and such gems as "You Get Paid For Being A Jerk". If you Google "Mirandarized" with the American spelling, you get lots of American links, which suggests that it might be an American term that you've heard on TV in the UK and assumed is the same over here as it is there. So you are nearly right

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Quick - someone piss on suity!
    One at a time! One at a time!!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'm on fire today.
    Quick - someone piss on suity!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It's only "the UK implementation of Miranda rights" in the same sense that The Tower of London is the UK implementation of The Pentagon
    So you agree with me

I'm on fire today.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Miranda rights are conveyed by the arresting officer to the prisoner, but you are nearly right

Befire Miranda v Arizona there was no such thing as rights. In this country you have the "Right to silence" which is the UK implementation of Miranda rights, but it is still Miranda rights none the less.

It's only "the UK implementation of Miranda rights" in the same sense that The Tower of London is the UK implementation of The Pentagon

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Have a read

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Hang on why would the arresting officer give the person the right to silence, surely that right is given by default.

At no point in the UK is Miranda or a variance of such ever used unless its by people who don't know the correct terminology..... oh sorry Suity!
    Plain wrong, sorry Simon. Why don't you got out and get arrested and report back your findings

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Befire Miranda v Arizona there was no such thing as rights. In this country you have the "Right to silence" which is the UK implementation of Miranda rights, but it is still Miranda rights none the less.

Hang on why would the arresting officer give the person the right to silence, surely that right is given by default.

At no point in the UK is Miranda or a variance of such ever used unless its by people who don't know the correct terminology..... oh sorry Suity!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X