• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Muslim awareness classes for schools?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Is it really a good thing for the mosques to throw out the extremists? If all they'll do is join a new mosque where they can all sit around agreeing with each other, they'll just confirm each other's idiotic ideas and then some will go postal. I think I'd prefer the more moderate mosques to keep them on board where they'll be confronted with people who think differently to themselves.
    They throw them out and report them to the police so the intelligence services can keep track of them.

No Church would encourage worshippers in their congregation who don't agree with the vicar/reverend/pastor to stay so why should other religions be expected not to? Especially if one of those people is convincing sons of fellow worshippers to go to training camps abroad?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    I thought we were supposed to call imaginary friends deities
    only if they have a book out

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    no he isn't, its his imaginary friend!
    I thought we were supposed to call imaginary friends deities

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    I quoted myself. The YOU is anyone reading. The earlier quote led nicely into my even earlier points which I wanted to bring attention to.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    no he isn't, its his imaginary friend!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1816242

You're talking to yourself there.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    The more civilised societies don't help themselves by refusing to acknowledge the barbarians are at the gate.
    Which relates to my earlier points. Why don't YOU acknowledge the barbarians are at the gate when you see islamic inspired violence one day and walk past a mosque in your neighbourhood the next?

Unrelated some will say. Really? Explain it please. People simply refuse to think about it, refuse to engage on the issue. Im eager to hear sensible rational and reasonable opinion but all I hear is people with fingers in their ears going 'bla bla im not listening, not happening! not happening!'.

Its interesting, and also of concern.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    The more civilised societies don't help themselves by refusing to acknowledge the barbarians are at the gate.

'Oh do come in, cup of tea? Oh my what a nice shiny sword you have there! very pretty! ugh!'
    It didn't end up well for Rome, they caused their own downfall (insert downfall meme here...)

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    All religions are based on the suspension of logic and reason - otherwise known as "faith".
    Yes they are. That is how you can tell they are invented.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    We've long past the stage of needing to invent something to explain the universe around us to make us feel important as a species

Why do we have to accept the need for religion now, society should have moved on
    I think that different civilisations have moved at different speeds in their progress. I think when we see such violence it is an effect of the incompatible nature of those more backward cultures with those that are more advanced attempting to occupy the same space. Unfortunately the more backward culture can resort to violence to try and enforce their ideas. When each side has a differing opinion of the definition of what is morally right you will have conflict. The growing pains of our collective civilisations I suppose.

'Oh do come in, cup of tea? Oh my what a nice shiny sword you have there! very pretty! ugh!'

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I have to agree that if that was the the purpose of religion and it was really all man made then it is pointless....

But what if you are wrong and there really is a God and that the messages contained within Judaism, Christianity, Islam all have some kind of substance and origin with the creator....
    If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I wouldn't care for a god that lets evil things happen

I would ignore them even if you could proof that they existed, and carry on with life

And another thing if god exists what happens to the gods that no one worships anymore do they have to resort to going on mindnumbing games shows like Celebrity Big Bhudda ?
    Last edited by amcdonald; 27 September 2013, 13:25.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Is it really a good thing for the mosques to throw out the extremists? If all they'll do is join a new mosque where they can all sit around agreeing with each other, they'll just confirm each other's idiotic ideas and then some will go postal. I think I'd prefer the more moderate mosques to keep them on board where they'll be confronted with people who think differently to themselves.
    As before - Imams not followers.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    We've long past the stage of needing to invent something to explain the universe around us to make us feel important as a species

Why do we have to accept the need for religion now, society should have moved on
    I have to agree that if that was the the purpose of religion and it was really all man made then it is pointless....

But what if you are wrong and there really is a God and that the messages contained within Judaism, Christianity, Islam all have some kind of substance and origin with the creator....

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    All religions and climate change 'scientists' are based on the suspension of logic and reason - otherwise known as "faith".
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    If anyone has any other theory as to how a refusal to apply logic and reason in regard to islamic violence has come about for vast swathes of the population I'd be interested to hear it.
    All religions are based on the suspension of logic and reason - otherwise known as "faith".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X