• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Books that have made an impact on you"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Tender is the Night.
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Quite a few maths & science books. I had a one called the timetables of science when I was a kid, that was great.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Also: We Need to Talk About Kevin, The Road and Birdsong. Dark books that linger in your thoughts afterwards.
    Absolutely fecking chilling if you have kids!!!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Carlos Arana Castaneda
    The Teachings of Don Juan

Man that was some serious tulip

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    The dune series: bizarrely it has had more impact on what water I waste than any environmental campaign.
    Excellent books. I read Dune whilst sunbathing in the dunes of Gran Canaria, added to the atmosphere!

Also: We Need to Talk About Kevin, The Road and Birdsong. Dark books that linger in your thoughts afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    The dune series: bizarrely it has had more impact on what water I waste than any environmental campaign.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    They were indeed simplistic, that was the whole point.
    Yes. I believe Stroud was a genius expositor - he made Maffs easy for generations of students.
    The debt the country owes someone like him is incalculable.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Aye. Got copies of those somewhere, although if I look at them now after having a done a proof-based maffs course, they do seem a bit simplistic.
    They were indeed simplistic, that was the whole point.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Suprised no one has mentioned the Labour parties manifesto, the greatest work of fiction of all time...
    Hmmm yes that may make a big impact and not in a good way.

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    One inactive but paying client now.

I read a book a week and have done since I was knee high and reading speed is very high.
    Helps if you don't rot your mind with TV.
    Own hundreds of books literally, both physical and electronic.
    WSS, a book a week is what i aim for. I cannot think of shortlist of books I have read that have made an impact on me as so many have. I read everything from theological and spiritual teachings to popular fiction, but have picked one from a few different genres:

Tao Te Ching

IQ84

The Known World

Pragmatic Programmer

Code Complete

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Suprised no one has mentioned the Labour parties manifesto, the greatest work of fiction of all time...

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Why the West Has Won
    Guns, germs and Steel
    Collapse
    Snowcrash
    The Exorcist (book is awesome, although the film is very good)
    It was a long time ago but I found "Guns, Germs and Steel" tedious. It's an interesting story but it read like an academic tome.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Wow you have all this time to read countless books?

Two clients to work for and a young family too...almost seems like you are alone and unemployed sometimes....

One inactive but paying client now.

I read a book a week and have done since I was knee high and reading speed is very high.
    Helps if you don't rot your mind with TV.
    Own hundreds of books literally, both physical and electronic.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Does make me chuckle too. All of the time in the world to post all day, but not at night, all these clients and hard work, and now a library the size of Denver to boot. I mean, some simply wouldn't believe it all...

The best works of fiction sas owns, is his CV, and his multitude of qualifications
    At night he's providing his real services to clients in London.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Does make me chuckle too. All of the time in the world to post all day, but not at night, all these clients and hard work, and now a library the size of Denver to boot. I mean, some simply wouldn't believe it all...

The best works of fiction sas owns, is his CV, and his multitude of qualifications

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    [*]Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman![/LIST]

And probably reading Asimov's robot stories as a child are subconsciously a big part of my interest in science and technology.
    Yes, good one - had me chuckling. Got it somewhere in my collection, I think.
    Will print and read in bed

http://www.chem.fsu.edu/chemlab/isc3...eyn_surely.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X