• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would you fly on one of these?"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I had an agent contact me about an Oracle role in Baghdad a few years back. It was paying about 5-10% more than I was earning in the UK.

Not worth the risk.
    I was offered a senior role in Iraq, planning their new infrastructure. £1800 a day, all in, plus £60 per diem expenses, 3 months on, 3 months off. Tempted for about the 10 seconds before I could see my new born baby in her cot.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I know how much money is on offer for these contracts, but the price I put on my life, is much higher.
    I had an agent contact me about an Oracle role in Baghdad a few years back. It was paying about 5-10% more than I was earning in the UK.

Not worth the risk.

Leave a comment:

• Chunk
    replied
    Fer
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I think greed is a terrible thing, and one of the reasons I haven't felt an awful lot of sorrow for the contractors who get murdered in Iraq, etc. I know how much money is on offer for these contracts, but the price I put on my life, is much higher.

I do hope he changes his mind, for the plane will be the last of his worries.
    Mogadishu itself is much safer than it was. It's under govt control and Al Shebab have been pushed out. I wouldn't go though. My poor old aunty is having kittens!

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I think greed is a terrible thing, and one of the reasons I haven't felt an awful lot of sorrow for the contractors who get murdered in Iraq, etc. I know how much money is on offer for these contracts, but the price I put on my life, is much higher.

I do hope he changes his mind, for the plane will be the last of his worries.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    There is a reason why the plane is called a Tulipolev and the airline is AeroFlop...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Beats the tulip out of a Blackhawk - those things have problems in East Africa IIRC
    Most flying things would have problems when they are being shot at ...

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Beats the tulip out of a Blackhawk - those things have problems in East Africa IIRC

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    Hmm, lots of engines is good, so is lots of tyres, high wings also good (body acts as a pendulum to encourage return to level flight) , anhedral wings (sloping down) always disturb me as it encourages instability. Dihedral wings (sloping upwards) tend to return the plane to level flight if you take your hands off the controls.

What really scares me is when I see a plane which uses hydraulic components I designed straight from university, I used to pass exams based on the approach and intermediate workings but rarely got the final answer correct

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Chunk View Post
    [IMG]
    My cousin is going to Mogadishu to work on a telecoms network.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    I'd be more worried about working in Mogadishu, surely you'd be safer running round Iran wearing an "I love Salman Rushdie" tshirt

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Chechnya...1998
    youtu.be/VTCYp78I6P0?t=12m28s

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Chechnya...1998

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Chunk View Post
    My cousin is going to Mogadishu to work on a telecoms network.
    He is a really brave man...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    I'd be more worried about working in Mogadishu, surely you'd be safer running round Iran wearing an "I love Salman Rushdie" tshirt

Leave a comment:

Working...
X