• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Payday lenders - any sympathy?"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Agreed, but forcing them to show a rate that is 2000% higher when they could simply use the flat rates of each (10% & 30%) is nonsensical.

If you have ever worked on a system that calculates APR then you'll know just how utterly moronic it is.
    Not worked for a financial in over a decade so I can't comment on how moronic the rules on APR are , moronic or not so long as they're applied consistently (if moronically) then at least it's possible to compare.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Agreed, but forcing them to show a rate that is 2000% higher when they could simply use the flat rates of each (10% & 30%) is nonsensical.

If you have ever worked on a system that calculates APR then you'll know just how utterly moronic it is.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Source: Loan APR Calculator. Calculate APR from loan amount, repayments and term
    zero fees, loan amount £100, 1 monthly payment of £110 or £130

A. 213.9%
    B. 2229.8%
    As others have said, forcing them to advertise an annual percentage rate for a 1 month loan is pointless
    True, but it does allow direct comparisons of interest rates on credit products, it could be argued that's quite useful to have for consumers.
    Let's face it a £30 fee on a £100 loan for 30 days isn't exactly chicken feed. Yes the loan company has admin costs to deal with, but their profitability is a matter of record and the social cost isn't exactly trivial to certain parts of society.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I noticed that credit unions charge £10 to borrow £100 for a month - payday lenders charge £30.

What is the difference in APR?

Any mafematicians around?
    Source: Loan APR Calculator. Calculate APR from loan amount, repayments and term
    zero fees, loan amount £100, 1 monthly payment of £110 or £130

A. 213.9%
    B. 2229.8%
    As others have said, forcing them to advertise an annual percentage rate for a 1 month loan is pointless

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    How do you feel about the old folk who get ripped off when some pikey cons them out of their life savings? Presumably they should have known better also.
    SAS try this

he quality of mercy is not strain'd,
    It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
    Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;
    It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    FFS let adults make decisions as they think fit. Fooking nanny state.
    And what if that adult hasn't got the ability to make this decision. There are plenty of special needs people out there (and on here) Some people have special needs that make them incapable of seeing the other side of an argument. Not everything is black and white in your Aspergers world!

How do you feel about the old folk who get ripped off when some pikey cons them out of their life savings? Presumably they should have known better also.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    yeah just look what happened when your parents made decisions, if only it had been to use a rubber!

I believe the following are required:

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    True, but most people will only see the monthly payment and as that looks affordable won't question the longterm cost of the product

They're not exactly marketing to the more intelligent members of society after all
    I appreciate that...I just think its taking the piss a lot!! I mean Baird are hardly up there with the best TV's yet this is over £500 for cash. My @rse. I spent £350 and got a 42 inch 1080p LCD tv from Richer Sounds. So they massivley markup the cash price and then add a huge apr to the finance.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Because they need fags and alcohol now!!!

Preying on financial unstable people isn't a new phenomenon though. There used to be a shop in Birmingham that allowed low income or credit unworthy people buy electrical appliances many years ago. Small shop front with a load of items in an a huge back office of lawyers/financial bods chasing the debts that were inevitable racked up. Was just a front to get people in to debt and then hammer them with interest and penalties.
    Mind you, anyone buying from a shop above a kebab joint should take a little more care.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    I walked past one of these plases on Sunday. They had a 42inch LCD tv by Baird on sale for over £500 - already over the odds and way more expensive than the likes of Richer Sounds etc. To do it on their finance was over £1400 in total. That is a shocking credit charge.
    True, but most people will only see the monthly payment and as that looks affordable won't question the longterm cost of the product

They're not exactly marketing to the more intelligent members of society after all

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Bright House?
    I walked past one of these plases on Sunday. They had a 42inch LCD tv by Baird on sale for over £500 - already over the odds and way more expensive than the likes of Richer Sounds etc. To do it on their finance was over £1400 in total. That is a shocking credit charge.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I don't think they are after sympathy, are they?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    credit unions are capped, they seem to be doing ok.

it needs some restraint, they are advertising constantly on prime time tv which suggests they are making massive profits.
    I noticed that credit unions charge £10 to borrow £100 for a month - payday lenders charge £30.

What is the difference in APR?

Any mafematicians around?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Because to some people £100 is a meal out, to others it is the choice between heating and eating, and a logal cap at 30% will move more people to illegal sources of funds
    credit unions are capped, they seem to be doing ok.

it needs some restraint, they are advertising constantly on prime time tv which suggests they are making massive profits.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X