• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It's the end of the world as we know it"

Collapse

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    In a few years there will be genetically engineered viruses targeted at bacteria, and proteins with nanoparticles attached designed to selectively clobber bacteria and viruses (without in either case harming beneficial bacteria).
    And if you swallow a fly, don't worry. Just swallow a spider to get it. Perhaps you'll die.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by CourtesyFlush View Post
    Prisonplanet

So an antibiotic resistant zoonosis?
    In a few years there will be genetically engineered viruses targeted at bacteria, and proteins with nanoparticles attached designed to selectively clobber bacteria and viruses (without in either case harming beneficial bacteria).

Antibiotics as used today, i.e. organic molecules per se, will come to be seen as the biomedical equivalent of needing oak galls and charcoal to make ink (or whatever they used in the olden days).

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Some drivel
    Suity? Or the return of NickyG?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    The Bieber is supposed to be Robin in a DC film, if that isn't a sign of the impending apocalypse I don't know what is
    FTFY as clearly you don't know your batman from your Spider-Man

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Anyone else think we're not far off some kind of extinction level event?

Enjoy your afternoon.
    The Bieber is supposed to be Robin in a Marvel film, if that isn't a sign of the impending apocalypse I don't know what is

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ftfy
    Shhhhhh, don't let him know that!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Makes it look prettier though.

Now where did I put that diLithium?

It was here a minute ago.

Checked the warp core? It was there last time you lost it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    You might want to watch your blood pressure with all of your paranoia, however it's entirely likely that we really are out to get you so take care!!
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Prisonplanet

That's how evolution works, not like there haven't been a few rather dramatic pandemics in human history.

You might want to watch your blood pressure with all of your paranoia, however it's entirely likely that they really are out to get you so take care!!

Leave a comment:

• CourtesyFlush
    replied
    Antibiotics

Prisonplanet

This is the conclusion of the CDC’s new Threat Report 2013, a document that for the first time quantifies the number of fatalities happening in America due to antibiotic-resistant superbugs.
    What’s truly astonishing about this report is that it admits, in effect, that modern medicine is a failure when it comes to infectious disease. The whole approach of fighting bugs with isolated chemicals was doomed to fail from the start, of course, since Mother Nature adapts to chemical threats far more quickly than drug companies can roll out new chemicals.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Isn't that the PMs job?
    I am a PM, so I suppose so

I will if the rate's good.
    Fair point, you test it, I'll deliver it (assuming the rate is appropriate)

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'm not going to run round screaming that the sky is falling just yet.
    Isn't that the PMs job?

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Hand shandy and a packet of quavers?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• CourtesyFlush
    replied
    Half a shandy and a packet of quavers?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I'm not going to run round screaming that the sky is falling just yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X