• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Clever CUKkers

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Clever CUKkers"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Now that sas has admitted he's actually not that clever, I was thinking about who on CUK comes across as being bright.

My shortlist:

NickFitz (obv)
    MTT
    Old Greg
    Zippy

All of them are (or appear to be) what dodgy would dismiss as 'lefties'.

So are the lefties cleverer than righties? Or do my leftie inclinations skew my judgement?
    I like to think I have very high levels of emotional intelligence but on all other matters involving intellect I am a bit of a thicko

As for lefties/righties I am not sure your selected group would fall into either category.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Sociopath, borderline psychopath?
    WHS and I think some are more than 'borderline' psychopath.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I think you have the title as smartest shemale on the site, which is ironic given the mess the op left you in down there its anything but smart and tidy!
    And that's why you always pay The Lady that little bit extra.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Don't forget us ladies!
    I think you have the title as smartest shemale on the site, which is ironic given the mess the op left you in down there its anything but smart and tidy!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    And don't forget Faqqer.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Caring about people and being intelligent are totally separate things. You could be a certified genius but not give two hoots about your family.

Although the person who marries such a person and has a family with them is perhaps the dim one in this scenario
    I think you're confusing being clever with being intelligent. Academics are usually very clever, quite often they can be unintelligent. I think IQ tests should be renamed CQ tests, since that is what they narrowly measure.
    Last edited by sasguru; 17 September 2013, 10:04.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    But if academics condemn their families to live on the pittances they earn purely because they have fun using their brains, maybe they're being selfish rather than smart or intelligent?
    Caring about people and being intelligent are totally separate things. You could be a certified genius but not give two hoots about your family.

Although the person who marries such a person and has a family with them is perhaps the dim one in this scenario

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well, I don't think your criteria of 'rich without doing much' really covers it; I know a couple of people from school who live in great luxury but who are dim. They inherited what they describe as 'half a county of farmland' and live off the rental proceeds after their father very wisely appointed a farm manager and gave the two young chaps meaningless but important sounding positions in the family business. Very nice chaps in their own way, but unfathomably dim and neither would be able to earn an income or manage a simple one room, one person household, never mind an estate. Are they clever? I don't think so but I think their father very charitably and perceptively ensured that their wives and kids won't have to suffer from their lack of brainpower.

But maybe they're outliers.
    Maybe you should be in the fick thread, you seem to have lost the point of this one
    So there are some rich but dim types in the world, what's your point exactly?
    We were discussing what intelligence is AFAIK - and finding it quite hard to pin down, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    So to summarise you're rich (in your terms) and don't do very much. What's your point?
    Well, I don't think your criteria of 'rich without doing much' really covers it; I know a couple of people from school who live in great luxury but who are dim. They inherited what they describe as 'half a county of farmland' and live off the rental proceeds after their father very wisely appointed a farm manager and gave the two young chaps meaningless but important sounding positions in the family business. Very nice chaps in their own way, but unfathomably dim and neither would be able to earn an income or manage a simple one room, one person household, never mind an estate. Are they clever? I don't think so but I think their father very charitably and perceptively ensured that their wives and kids won't have to suffer from their lack of brainpower.

But maybe they're outliers.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
    People who chase wealth will never be happy as there is always someone wealthier than you and while you are chasing the illusion of happiness being found in wealth, your life will pass you buy. I have a few friends who like to display the illusion of wealth by buying the most expensive care they can afford, drinking in the most expensive bars, while having to make sacrifices in other areas of their lives and being unable to save for the future. I suspect it is these people who end up depressed as they are unable to reach the unrealistic aspirations they have set themselves.
    Well clearly chasing wealth for its own sake is not very intelligent.
    As is accepting genteel relative poverty when you can do better, thus severely limiting your choices.*

*it should be said that it's different if you're single - I think if you have a family your choices should reflect your obligations to them.
    Last edited by sasguru; 17 September 2013, 09:43.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    People who chase wealth will never be happy as there is always someone wealthier than you and while you are chasing the illusion of happiness being found in wealth, your life will pass you buy. I have a few friends who like to display the illusion of wealth by buying the most expensive care they can afford, drinking in the most expensive bars, while having to make sacrifices in other areas of their lives and being unable to save for the future. I suspect it is these people who end up depressed as they are unable to reach the unrealistic aspirations they have set themselves.
    Financially I'm OK and happy enough, but I need something to strive for; sport provides that for me. It's also realistic as I am physically stronger than I am cunning.

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    That's an interesting argument since we are discussing intelligence.
    The fact is alumni of private schools (not grammar schools) dominate the top of virtually all professions/sports/firms/public bodies in this country.
    So obviously academic intelligence is not the most important thing to get to the top?
    I think it depends on the private school, I suspect there are an elite few schools who farm the industry leaders, but there are probably hundreds of other private schools whose alumni are only marginally more successful than their counterparts at state-schools.

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well, that perhaps depends on your own experience of the word 'rich'. Personally I harbour the illusion (or delusion) that we are fabulously rich; in material terms we have a comfortable home that is very nearly paid off, we have two cars that fit our taste and needs well, a couple of very good racing bicycles and all the comforts of a modern house. We take holidays at least once a year in some fascinating and exotic places, and we can go out for dinner pretty much wherever or whenever we choose. OK, so there are some people who could (and do) buy several new Bentleys as opposed to second hand jags and fiats. Some people live in palaces and some fly around the world in private jets and stay in presidential suites instead of the standard rooms in smart hotels, but I have no reason to be envious of them as the real comfort and pleasure offered by these things is subject to the law of diminishing returns. In the less material sense, we live close to some beautiful scenery, some excellent art galleries and theatres and towns where life is very pleasant. Plus, our neighbourhood is comfortable and relatively free of crime. However, we both work a lot to pay for all this, but neither of us does work that's particularly taxing or that will make us cripples in old age. We could both work more hours or take the risk of investing in a business that might make us very 'rich', but why would we do that if it's unlikely to add much to our general level of enjoyment?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Private schools on the other hand don't guarantee the intelligence of the pupils as if there are entrance exams they are generally easier (in my experience) than the grammars and having wealthy parents does not guarantee intelligence.
    That's an interesting argument since we are discussing intelligence.
    The fact is alumni of private schools (not grammar schools) dominate the top of virtually all professions/sports/firms/public bodies in this country.
    So obviously academic intelligence is not the most important thing to get to the top?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    He always gives me the impression that he really wants people to like him. It's rather like a Greek tragedy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X