• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Alarums and Excursions"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    No alarums so far tonight, but as I headed off to the pub for dinner earlier the manager flagged me down in reception. He wanted to give me a receipt showing that I'd been given a full refund of last night's room charge

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    In my permie days, we were all at an overnight conference thingy and there was a 5 a.m. alarm. The boss was shamefully dressed and on a (U.K. based) conference call at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    She was probably in the shower. Did you expect her to come out naked for a false alarm?
    Why else would one set off the alarm in a hotel?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Back in my permie days I was sent on a course with a colleague, fire alarm when off in the hotel and she comes out fully adorned in PJ's, Dressing Gown and Slippers, it was half seven at night at the time
    She was probably in the shower. Did you expect her to come out naked for a false alarm?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Back in my permie days I was sent on a course with a colleague, fire alarm when off in the hotel and she comes out fully adorned in PJ's, Dressing Gown and Slippers, it was half seven at night at the time
    You say it like its a bad thing

Unless she was moonlighting

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    It's usually some idiot trying to smoke in the hotel room.

It's not fun leaving your hotel room looking like a geeky Arthur Dent at some awfully early hour of the morning
    Or a thief wanting to raid the rooms

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post

It's not fun leaving your hotel room looking like a geeky Arthur Dent at some awfully early hour of the morning
    Get yourself a suite with a fluffy dressing gown and a balcony.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Stay in the Premier Inn. Light a cigarette in your room to set off the fire alarm. Claim under their good night's sleep guarantee.

Free hotels

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    started a topic Alarums and Excursions

Alarums and Excursions

Fire alarm went off in the hotel just now. Everybody got a nice stand around in the car park while it was determined that nothing was actually on fire.

As it happens, I have the room next to the fire exit this week. I walked the length of the building to leave via reception instead, as I'd feel guilty about breaking the glass on the latch when there wasn't an actual fire. So did everybody else. Looks like we're all British here tonight

However, I noticed that nobody else had brought their laptop bag out with them. I must be the only contractor

Working...
X