• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working away from home - eating healthily"

Collapse

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    Is the correct answer. A shelf in the fridge and freezer and use of the kitchen. Much cheapness too!

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    Possibly, what you should also see is a change in waistline though.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Since Mich is in the thread... does the old line "muscle weighs more than fat" actually count as a valid excuse for why increasing your exercise doesn't reduce your weight?

I started cycling a few months back - now averaging 30min a day I'd say. My thighs are visibly more muscly, and very much so to the touch - there are definite chunks of muscle where before there were none.
    But is that kind of change likely to involve a non-negligible increase in muscle mass, i.e. measured in multiple pounds?
    It can, if you're doing the type of exercise that leads to increased muscle bulk, and if you have that kind of body that builds muscle bulk easily. Also, after exercise you might be heavier for a day or so due to fluid in the muscles. But for most people doing aerobic exercise the excuse won't wash. I've found since stopping rugby and moving to pretty serious cycling, including occasional racing, that I've lost 12kgs, mostly upper body muscle and a bit of fat, while my legs are about the same size as when I was shoving in scrums and doing deadlifts.

If you have visible muscle growth on your legs, you can assume that counts for a few kilos of gain; look at a 1kg lump of pork you'd make for Sunday roast, and imagine that spread over the full length and breadth of both your legs and your bum muscles (gluteus); it should be clear that the 1kg gain in muscle would only just be visible on your legs, so visibly bigger legs can mean perhaps 3 kg of gain, depending obviously on how long your legs are and whether you're being honest with yourself.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Since Mich is in the thread... does the old line "muscle weighs more than fat" actually count as a valid excuse for why increasing your exercise doesn't reduce your weight?

I started cycling a few months back - now averaging 30min a day I'd say. My thighs are visibly more muscly, and very much so to the touch - there are definite chunks of muscle where before there were none.
    But is that kind of change likely to involve a non-negligible increase in muscle mass, i.e. measured in multiple pounds?

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's almost like people should have a balanced exercise
    Weightlifting on a tightrope?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You don't want unbalanced exercise, you could fall and hurt yourself.
    Good spot! Am a bit hungover this morning.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's almost like people should have a balanced exercise and do some exercise.
    You don't want unbalanced exercise, you could fall and hurt yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Take a look at Africa; you have two large population groups who are not usually fat. The Sudan tribes who live in the east generally eat lots of grain, but not much meat; that means they get the proteins and carbs but their calory intake is limited by not eating much meat. Then you have the much larger Bantu groups who live in central and western areas; they generally eat lots of fish and meat, but not so many spuds or grain; that gives them the nutrients, but limits their calory intake. Plus, most people still do physical work. The problems there are now starting in the cities where obesity is become a big issue; that's because they combine high calory intake diets that include meat AND starches with an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. Most people in cities now live in two job, two child households and are so busy they just grab some fast food on the way home and now obesity is becoming a bigger health issue than AIDS or malaria in urban Africa.

In short, yes, the low carb diets can work, but simply because they involve a lower calory intake. Eat the carbs AND the proteins, limit the fat and combine it all with some exercise, which doesn't need to be intensive training; a half hour to an hour brisk walk around the local area can make a big difference.

And if you do intensive exercise, DO NOT stop eating carbs, whatever some jumped up instructor says; your body needs them. Without the carbs, it will burn fat, but it'll also burn proteins from your muscles and can leave you weakened with a whole lot of waste products in your kidneys.
    It's almost like people should have a balanced exercise and do some exercise.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    If we believe the more progressive current western dietary thinking white rice is just a total no no in anything more than small amounts. The staple food for about 2 billion people who seem to have had no weight issues until we introduced them to burgers and coke. Lunacy.
    Take a look at Africa; you have two large population groups who are not usually fat. The Sudan tribes who live in the east generally eat lots of grain, but not much meat; that means they get the proteins and carbs but their calory intake is limited by not eating much meat. Then you have the much larger Bantu groups who live in central and western areas; they generally eat lots of fish and meat, but not so many spuds or grain; that gives them the nutrients, but limits their calory intake. Plus, most people still do physical work. The problems there are now starting in the cities where obesity is become a big issue; that's because they combine high calory intake diets that include meat AND starches with an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. Most people in cities now live in two job, two child households and are so busy they just grab some fast food on the way home and now obesity is becoming a bigger health issue than AIDS or malaria in urban Africa.

In short, yes, the low carb diets can work, but simply because they involve a lower calory intake. Eat the carbs AND the proteins, limit the fat and combine it all with some exercise, which doesn't need to be intensive training; a half hour to an hour brisk walk around the local area can make a big difference.

And if you do intensive exercise, DO NOT stop eating carbs, whatever some jumped up instructor says; your body needs them. Without the carbs, it will burn fat, but it'll also burn proteins from your muscles and can leave you weakened with a whole lot of waste products in your kidneys.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 13 September 2013, 08:54.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    everything in moderation!

only way to live

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I think it's hard to argue against there being the wrong tulip to eat. You can exercise as much as you like to keep the weight off, but if all you're eating is deep friend tulip, you're likely to be harming your health.

I used to do what MTT does, that is take a bike with me. Then I started using hotels with gyms and pools and it's much better, in my opinion. Nothing beats an open air 'real' bike ride for getting fit, but getting back to the hotel at 8pm, it's sometimes easier going to the gym than going out for a ride around dusk time.

There are, however, plenty of ways to eat healthily working away.

As an idea, could we make a sticky of ideas to keep the weight off while away?
    I shall do this within the next couple of months when my accountant gives me his customary 'raise your costs to avoid the 52% tax scale' phone call.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    If we believe the more progressive current western dietary thinking white rice is just a total no no in anything more than small amounts. The staple food for about 2 billion people who seem to have had no weight issues until we introduced them to burgers and coke. Lunacy.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I think it's hard to argue against there being the wrong tulip to eat. You can exercise as much as you like to keep the weight off, but if all you're eating is deep friend tulip, you're likely to be harming your health.

I used to do what MTT does, that is take a bike with me. Then I started using hotels with gyms and pools and it's much better, in my opinion. Nothing beats an open air 'real' bike ride for getting fit, but getting back to the hotel at 8pm, it's sometimes easier going to the gym than going out for a ride around dusk time.

There are, however, plenty of ways to eat healthily working away.

As an idea, could we make a sticky of ideas to keep the weight off while away?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Believe what you want, it's still a load of mince, type of stuff peddled in women's magazines with no scientific fact.
    WHS

You eat it, you need to burn it. If you don't burn it, don't eat it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I pack my racing bike into the boot of the car and take it with me to the hotel. I ride most evenings and some mornings, but from next week I'll do spinning at a gym nearby clientco. That way I can eat pretty much whatever I like, either the home cooking by the hotel owner or in a restaurant nearby; get enough exercise and you really don't need to worry too much about getting fat. Just avoid the junk food places. I have a little pot of multivits that I use some days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X