• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Howdo!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Howdo!"

Collapse

• StoneLaughter
    replied
    Originally posted by Mushroom
    (But better, in most cases. I'm mind numbingly egotistical, and worryingly, nay, almost suicidally cynical.)
    **fixed**
    Last edited by StoneLaughter; 2 August 2006, 18:20.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by StoneLaughter
    Afternoon folks!

My name's Tom, I'm an IT Infrastructure Support Engineer who's just been made redundant, and I live near Mansfield in Nottinghamshire.

I am looking at the possibility of setting up as a Contractor, and while I've read the PCG's "Guide to Freelancing", it still doesn't give me a clear picture in my head about what to do once I've registered my Company Name and so on. How do I begin, how do I get that first contract... and what's the process from start to finish of securing ANY contract?

What will my working day be like? How much time will I likely have for business related activity during my working day, and if I don't get any, how much work will I have at night when I get home?

It's all this "general", "real life works like THIS" info that I need; official guides seem to miss this part out...
    As far as I can tell companies employ us lot because so many of the permies are cack merchants, and they can spit us out once they are done with us.

So:

1) Make a list of companies that might employ you. Focussing on ones relevant to you helps.
    2) Write to the companies. Where I work, HR are fine with contractors writing direct.
    3) Wait.

Or:

1) Go to jobserve, apply and wait for a ever so friendly young soul to ring you. He/she wants nothing better than to find you a job, and all he/she takes is as much of a cut as the greedy get can get his hands on. Simple. Oh, and most of the time the contact with an agent will come to nothing.

Or:

Speak to friends to find out if their companies are hiring contractors, and contact them direct.

Oh, and you might have to travel a long way, so B&B or temporary lodgings might be called for. It's best to live where jobs are, not some desolate job free place such as Mansfield. Where did you say you lived?

Oh, and agents make estate agents look honest and straightforward.

In terms of work etc, I do the same as the permies. (But better, in most cases. I'm not egocentric, just realistic.)

Leave a comment:

• Davros
    replied
    Originally posted by The Master
    Davros is most assuredly a lightweight in the evil genius stakes.
    Come on then, Master, you soft as tulipe Gallifreyan nancy boy. Let's be having you outside in the carpark and we'll settle this once and for all.

Now you wouldn't hit anyone in a wheelchair, would you?

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Yes, Oh Great and Evil One, I suspect that Davros missed something in their genetic modifications.
    Davros is most assuredly a lightweight in the evil genius stakes.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
    I‘ll make up the invoice now.

Ahh, invoice day, my favorite day of the month.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    "We Daleks"
    Well pointed out, o trusty minion. No wonder the plans of those stupid tin-plated pepperpots always go wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Clog II The Avenger
    replied
    A hard Day’s Posting

This has been a hard day’s posting, I hope the client is happy with it. I‘ll make up the invoice now.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    You will find the working day is the same for you as it is for permie in the same job with the odd exception - your renewal is your appraisal, no general info meetings about the company/your welfare etc. hours, conditions etc usually tie in with them. Business work is very minor, especially if you are using umbrella or managed ltd and won't take much time each month. Your job is to keep the contract you are in, get it extended if it suits, get your rate increased (I know the system now, taken on new reponsibilities, I'm greedy etc) or find the next one.
    You will normally know with 2-3 weeks to go if you have been extended, try to leave on good terms, it's not personal it's business, then it's time to hammer the job boards (contacts are great but jobserve has got me all my contracts). Got to keep some money stashed to see you through the breaks if there are any. Support boys get poor rates but can often get extended for long times to provide some continuity and keep annual income up.
    Basically, it's the same as perm work but you have to look for fresh work frequently, hopefully get extra cash for your trouble.
    As far as living away, done 10.5 years contracting, all but 6 months (first one) have been commutable (3 hrs a day was longest, current is 40mins)
    Look closer first, further if you have to.
    Good luck

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    more problems the better, problems = more $$

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    in the old days there used to be some real good banter going on here, but I suppose most of the previous regulars got kicked out of the IT business at the last cull during the downturn of 2002/2003 - i wonder what they are all doing these days ?

current lot try to be funny but are clearly children of the current regime and frightened of upsetting the apple cart

Milan.

Quick! I think I just saw someone unplugging the network cable from one of your servers. Good job you've got all those backups from the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    in the old days there used to be some real good banter going on here, but I suppose most of the previous regulars got kicked out of the IT business at the last cull during the downturn of 2002/2003 - i wonder what they are all doing these days ?

current lot try to be funny but are clearly children of the current regime and frightened of upsetting the apple cart

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Gunnery Sergeant Highway
    replied
    Originally posted by StoneLaughter
    Hardly surprising is it seeing as I've never been a contractor before? Why on earth do you think I posted as I did? If your reply is typical of the site, then maybe I came to the wrong place... I came looking for help and advice on a professional, business footing.
    Being a contractor is like being in the marines. You improvise, you adapt, you overcome.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Tom, best advice I can give is dont be scared of feeling your way through for the first contract. Don't fear failure, you'll make mistakes...everyone does thats part of the educashun process You might take a while to get your first contract but stick at it if you can. Stuff that hasn't been mentioned that helped me:

Use networks of friends/colleagues to hear about jobs.
    Agents are mostly alright as long as you are marketable for them.
    Don't worry about starting off on a cheap rate. I'm on double what I was 6 years ago. You can increase this as your reputation/skills/knowhow increases.
    Try and get local work (within 2hrs from home) it keeps your costs down and you don't end up a fat bartist living on takeaways.

all the best

Leave a comment:

• StoneLaughter
    replied
    Originally posted by bobsmithldn
    Tom, you're in very good spirits for someone who's been FIRED!

That's cos ...

Life is SUPERB ain't it?
    Heheheheh!!! Indeed I am - it was only money after all. And yes, life is simply fantastic.

Keep smiling chap.

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    replied
    Tom, you're in very good spirits for someone who's been FIRED!

That's cos ...

Life is SUPERB ain't it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X