• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "They never saw this coming...."

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I've already turned down contract offers from a couple of companies in Germany, because they wanted me to actually be there.
    In the end I persuaded one I could work from home, my current Client 1.
    News flash. A agent asking you if you can work on site is not a job offer.

Highlights your poor negotiating skills if you cannot persuade client for remote working.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I could walk into a choice of roles, contract or permanent, in Germany tomorrow, in a range of cities.
    In one day out the next, that's revolving doors for you.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Seriously almost ever creature in Australia can kill you

Just by looking at you..

ffs spiders that hide under the bog seat!!

Best stay in Blighty.

Even Skippy wants to kill you.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    A lot of families like dull and safe. Big house, big garden, walk to the beach. Swimming pool. Big shiny 4x4 on the drive. Outdoor sporty lifestyle. Simples!

They are not interested in some obscure theatre or mingling with 3rd world murderers and being Bohemian with their Islington architect chums.
    Seriously almost ever creature in Australia can kill you

Just by looking at you..

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Given that you are stuck below the bottom of the property ladder we assumed it was you
    That's certainly one way to look at it. Of course, making a concious choice is not the same as being "stuck", but that's a minor point. I could join you in sinking myself so deep in debt that I spend every day worrying interest rates will go up 0.5% and all will be lost.

My "dumbing down" is that I refuse to bury myself in debt to buy somewhere - after all, when the last crash happened the emphasis was put on blaming banks and doing all possible to ensure that people who were irresponsible did not lose the homes they couldn't afford.
    Your "dumbing down" is that you've borrowed all you can, and you are now relying on interest rates not rising, or if they do, on someone bailing you out.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Seriously thinking about it. Currently only an elderly relative who needs looking after is stopping us.
    Like is good here for the moment but I don't like the general attitude to education.
    Please let us know where you go so we can avoid.

Ta.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    You may be right. I presume you're one of the test subjects, so would know, after all.
    Given that you are stuck below the bottom of the property ladder we assumed it was you

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    The dumbing down is all by design.

Very effective way of keeping the populace under control. Some would say this is in the realms of Icke-esque conspiracy nutcases but in some countries this, such as Turkmenistan and Myanmar, this is official government policy.

I believe the same thing is being done here.
    You may be right. I presume you're one of the test subjects, so would know, after all.

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    replied
    Seriously thinking about it. Currently only an elderly relative who needs looking after is stopping us.
    Like is good here for the moment but I don't like the general attitude to education.
    The dumbing down is all by design.

Very effective way of keeping the populace under control. Some would say this is in the realms of Icke-esque conspiracy nutcases but in some countries this, such as Turkmenistan and Myanmar, this is official government policy.

I believe the same thing is being done here.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
    We are in the process - I don't see much future in this country for me or my children.
    Do you mind if I ask where you are emigrating to?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I have lived and worked abroad, but I am afraid no where came close to becoming home. I love England, I really do. I love our humour, I love the way the people are, mostly, I love smelling the air after I've mown the lawn and it rains, I love our way of life, I'm simply hooked. I have tried living abroad, but it, as someone has already said, it just made me miss home, and I will always compare other places to the UK, and everywhere I have lived, thus far, has come up short.

I think if I were to make a real go of emigrating, I'd have to go to a completely Anglicised place, or even Westernised, somewhere like Laos, Cambodia somewhere I could also take money to, that would favour me and somewhere that completely different, I couldn't possibly begin to compare life.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Back in your box, Mr average.
    There's no room with your fat arse in there.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    They just have no time for the unwashed illiterate.
    We know that's not true. They took you on.
    I've already turned down contract offers from a couple of companies in Germany, because they wanted me to actually be there.
    In the end I persuaded one I could work from home, my current Client 1.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Yes as I thought, it was. irony is hard concept to grasp for dumbkopfs.
    It's "Irony" "is a?"

And it's not "hard" it's "difficult"

Gosh, I thought you were articulate? I know Deutsch teenagers with a better grasp of your language.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X