• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "software engineer / agent enquiry"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    That'll be its top speed as German car manufacturers (well Merc, BMW, Audi, et al) limit them to that. Even AMGs are limited but Porsche, Alpina and the other top end manufacturers don't. It was basically a sop to the government a while back. You can get the limiter (VMAX) taken off but you need to take it through the TüV (MOT) again and have it entered in your logbook and get your insurance re-done. When I look in my logbook it says 280kph with 18" wheels and 285kph with 19" wheels (guess which I have?)
    Sounds like fun. If I'm driving these days, which is not often, I'm justing hiring when I need to.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    That will be 250 kph, about 155 mph.
    That'll be its top speed as German car manufacturers (well Merc, BMW, Audi, et al) limit them to that. Even AMGs are limited but Porsche, Alpina and the other top end manufacturers don't. It was basically a sop to the government a while back. You can get the limiter (VMAX) taken off but you need to take it through the TüV (MOT) again and have it entered in your logbook and get your insurance re-done. When I look in my logbook it says 280kph with 18" wheels and 285kph with 19" wheels (guess which I have?)

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It was a BMW 640i - goes like the clappers. Scary factor 1 out of 3. Sat on 156-160 mph for about 30 minutes.
    That will be 250 kph, about 155 mph.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    You're going to have to explain that one for me (i.e. there is no such car AFAIK), or was it this: Sixt-Kunden haben ein Lächeln auf den Lippen: jetzt günstig BMW C 650 GT mieten
    It was a BMW 640i - goes like the clappers. Scary factor 1 out of 3. Sat on 156-160 mph for about 30 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    sixt is the best when it comes to hiring out here. One day I picked up a BMW 640 m3 for €110 - my was that fun shooting up the autobahn.
    You're going to have to explain that one for me (i.e. there is no such car AFAIK), or was it this: Sixt-Kunden haben ein Lächeln auf den Lippen: jetzt günstig BMW C 650 GT mieten

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I do think Sas is impotent. It would explain an awful lot.
    I always assumed he had a personality disorder. But it makes him an excellent cretin baiter so overall he's worth it.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Whatever the reason for his distress, it's entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I don't think Sas wants to look important to others. He just wants to be able to look down on them.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I don't think Sas wants to look important to others.
    He's given up on that many moons ago...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I was the same when I lived there. I just hired them as I required.
    sixt is the best when it comes to hiring out here. One day I picked up a BMW 640 m3 for €110 - my was that fun shooting up the autobahn.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 10 September 2013, 18:14.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    There's no reason to driver a car in Munich, it's so well connected. Trams, u-bahn, s-bahn, buses, mostly I'll cycle from A to B as we have cycle paths separate from roads/pavements all over the city.
    I was the same when I lived there. I just hired them as I required.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    It beats working for peanuts.
    They're are other things to trade in than money, excluding peanuts.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    "A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure. " - Daily Telegraph

Seriously if you live in a city and don't need a car don't have one.

I have a crap car and it's much better for living in a city as I don't have to worry about someone scratching it when I leave it parked. My garage was telling me about the Jags etc they get in where someone has damaged them and run off.
    There's no reason to drive a car in Munich, it's so well connected. Trams, u-bahn, s-bahn, buses, mostly I'll cycle from A to B as we have cycle paths separate from roads/pavements all over the city.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 10 September 2013, 18:01.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Gosh you make it sound like I work for money, how awful.
    It beats working for peanuts.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No I guess not, a moderately decent one would be half your yearly take home..
    Gosh you make it sound like I work for money, how awful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X