• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear - Occupancy Tax"

Collapse

• Wonderstuff
    replied
    I'm schizophrenic - do I count as two people? Three you ignorant kunt, you can't ignore me forever....

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Well, all those people living alone are already paying taxes that are then given to people who have chosen to have kids and then want the us to help support them.

I pay far more into the pot than I take out.

P.S should I get a discount if I have friends round?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek
    Nail...head....hit.

Whichever group of self-serving, snivelling sycophants gets the gig, it all boils down to the same thing. You cannot rationally run a system of administration when people, by their very nature, are irrational. You may as well try herding cats.

I think we need a change. Daleks ? Are you up for it ?
    As the old saw goes: "whoever you vote for, the Government gets in".

Re. herding cats.

Cats are actually very rational. They look after their own interests first, are never subservient, and don't have any sort of pack or herd mentality. Admirable creatures IMHO. The Torys of the animal world.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    And in 2-3 years time the same things will be said about whichever govt gets into power after the next election. Labour or otherwise.
    Nail...head....hit.

Whichever group of self-serving, snivelling sycophants gets the gig, it all boils down to the same thing. You cannot rationally run a system of administration when people, by their very nature, are irrational. You may as well try herding cats.

I think we need a change. Daleks ? Are you up for it ?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    The reason for this is that the left has now lost the moral highground as far as taxation is concerned. People no longer believe that tax goes towards helping the poor or providing everyone with a safety net of welfare and decent public services. So the only way that govt can raise tax without people becoming angry is through stealth.

And in 2-3 years time the same things will be said about whichever govt gets into power after the next election. Labour or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by benn0
    The intital post says that the report is by, quote:

"University College London researchers"

I cannot find anything in the article to suggest that there are any plans by the current government to bring in such a tax, yet the thread turns into a two page rant against the government (as usual).

Get a ******* grip you bunch of nerds.
    I thought you left?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by djfoot
    Hardly a new concept. They've been doing this for years with 'Road' Tax. A very small percentage of that collected actually goes on the road infrastructure. Now, let me just check which government introduced road tax....
    these peripheral taxes they get away with because they think that we all basically believe that paying tax "is a good thing". Irrespective of which govt introduces tax I believe that all tax should be accountable. Only by giving the power of choice to the consumer and by making govt institutions accountable will the tax system work. Unfortunately the debate has not moved on to discussing the practicalites of how to provide public services in the most efficient manner for all. It is stuck in the mire of class warfare and self interest.

Leave a comment:

• djfoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    The reason for this is that the left has now lost the moral highground as far as taxation is concerned. People no longer believe that tax goes towards helping the poor or providing everyone with a safety net of welfare and decent public services. So the only way that govt can raise tax without people becoming angry is through stealth.
    Hardly a new concept. They've been doing this for years with 'Road' Tax. A very small percentage of that collected actually goes on the road infrastructure. Now, let me just check which government introduced road tax....

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Does'nt matter Benn0 any thread involving taxation inevitably turns into an anti-govt rant. There seems to be some sort of event horizon around the 10 post mark beyond which it becomes impossible to do anything but make anti-govt posts within the frame of referance* of the original thread.

*In a spatial / temporal context not as a referance to the original subject, that ceases to exist once the event horizon is reached.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    reference

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    Typical NL crap. Attack a whole class of people rather than look at individual consumption.
    Absolutely. Presumably this problem which has been so decisively laid at the door of single males is accentuated by leaving the standby buttons on. the usual NL ill-conceived, poorly-developed tripe, with no clear objectives identified, and no impact assessment produced. Just like:

- ID cards: delayed (no clear outcomes)
    - merging the police forces: scrapped (unworkable)
    - the CSA: scrapped (the current incarnation anyway)
    - self-assessment deadline b/f from Jan to Sept: scrapped (no consultation)
    - standby buttons: TBA, but they are jumping the shark on this one

Any others? Our country must look so amateurish in the eyes of the world. We seem to sit back and take so much flack from the international community, we can do no right in the eyes of the EU, and the govt. punishes its own citizens.

Aargh, gnfff,...Tony...Blair...must...kill

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You already pay for all this in a greatly increase energy bill. If some looney wanted to tax those who use more energy then it would be totally stupid to tax specific devices rather than just tax excessive energy use as shown on monthly bills.

IMO there should be law that any politician who suggests taxing anything should be send to XRay camp for indefinite containment until policitian understands error of his/her ways.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by benn0
    The intital post says that the report is by, quote:

"University College London researchers"

I cannot find anything in the article to suggest that there are any plans by the current government to bring in such a tax, yet the thread turns into a two page rant against the government (as usual).

Get a ******* grip you bunch of nerds.

Does'nt matter Benn0 any thread involving taxation inevitably turns into an anti-govt rant. There seems to be some sort of event horizon around the 10 post mark beyond which it becomes impossible to do anything but make anti-govt posts within the frame of referance* of the original thread.

*In a spatial / temporal context not as a referance to the original subject, that ceases to exist once the event horizon is reached.

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Gadget Powah!

I do agree with the Monkey, been thinking about this as I look at my desk with the PDA, mobile phone, rack of hard drives (I wondered why it was so hot in here) plus my lovely 3 monitor set up, the two computers that I really need for work plus the two laptops that I keep "just in case" and wonder how long our little world can last with consumption rates like this.

Some sort of technology tax is not a bad idea, as we consume more and more then there will be higher costs to dispose of all the redundant gadgets so surely a fairer way to tax this would be to whack some extra on electronic consumables rather than taxing single households?

Why should I be penalised for being so nerdy that no girl will look at me. My gadgets love me though, I take good care of them, and them of me

Still, in the grand scheme of things I do not think I am more harmful to the environment than a family of four who bugger off on holiday twice a year, I do not fly as my computers do not like being left alone.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Well, they did not introduce those in their first term in office.
    A good point, but an irrelevant one. The pledge was in their 2001 manifesto, a little over 18 months before they introduced them anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X