• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Simba!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Simba!"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Jambo!

Africa doesn't really do political correctness. Refreshingly free of 'elf and safety too. They also don't throw much away; they use stuff.

Glad you seem to be enjoying it.
    Okavanga!

We blasted south from n of praetorian to Aberdeen, couldn't get anywhere to stay because there is a Harley Davidson convention inn the area, we had to crack on in the dark, 180k.

That was a tough day. 1200 k
    Prices have rocketed due to the holidays. A decent loom has gone up from 18 quid a night to 54.

Listening to the locals speak Africans is interesting, a hoy polio of different languages. I can mostly follow what they are saying, more than German or french

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    If you like road trips, like I do, it can be fantastic.

the main problems are the political correctness of the urban ozzies, which is overwhelming, and the junk and filth.

I have travelled thousands and thousands of miles through the outback, every foot there is a bottle or a rusty can.

In africa, I would say it is still a problem, but about a quarter as much
    Jambo!

Africa doesn't really do political correctness. Refreshingly free of 'elf and safety too. They also don't throw much away; they use stuff.

Glad you seem to be enjoying it.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Someone I know, who loves travelling, just got back from 8 weeks in Oz. He said it was mostly boring.
    If you like road trips, like I do, it can be fantastic.

the main problems are the political correctness of the urban ozzies, which is overwhelming, and the junk and filth.

I have travelled thousands and thousands of miles through the outback, every foot there is a bottle or a rusty can.

In africa, I would say it is still a problem, but about a quarter as much

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    we had a trip planned for next year around the east of oz
    Someone I know, who loves travelling, just got back from 8 weeks in Oz. He said it was mostly boring.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Back in south africa now, in a private game reserve w. of jo burg called Bakubung.

it's totally exclusive, posh nobs only, and horrendously expensive. about 110 quid a night.

the missus was laughing at me. In Liverpool I was an iguana, in africa, with a few tips i became a bwana. in this place i am a double bwana

we saw some lions today.

Africa is ok. we had a trip planned for next year around the east of oz. The missus is having second thoughts now.
    with only ten days to go, we still have a couple of grand in the pot, and the contingency looks like it wont be needed(first time ever)

that means in the last week i will be so rich i may may attain triple bwana status.

sent from a bongo drum, using bwana media

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Are you sure they're your grandkids?

The one on the left seems to be wearing a top hat. So that may be a Victorian ghost you've snapped
    Wait till I get the pics of the elephants up. They are splediferous

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Are you sure they're your grandkids?

The one on the left seems to be wearing a top hat. So that may be a Victorian ghost you've snapped

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    We left Kruger on the 12th and crossed into Botswana at grobblers bridge. What a palaver

Blasted up to Francistown and stayed 3 nights. It's a real rough frontier town. Visited a rhino park and got a personalised 2 hour drive to see the rhinos for about 30 quid. Unbelievable value for money. The rhino were fantastic.

Left for maun across the desert and the salt pans and stopped in the okavanger delta. For a couple of nights.

Zoomed south through the kalahari desert today , 1000 km and now we are in Gaborone, on the Botswana sa border.

Botswana.
    Cheap, friendly, clean (cf Australia), mud huts, donkey carts and having to stop every ten minutes for cattle, goats and donkeys crossing the M1 equiv.
    Hordes of hitch hikers at every junction, colourful clothes, proud people.
    Sweet toothed folk. My ham bitty was made with yellow bread that had raisins and stuff in it.
    Strong beer. Cracked pavements.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Sounds brilliant.

Shows we put far too much stock on material things.
    Aye,
    I can't post the photoies

In fact I've been a week without a connection, till we got here.

Tomorrow we are going to th okavanger delta.

When I do these trips, I put 4k aside for spendies. It always goes, that's 1k a week

This trip, after a week and a half, living well, I have spent only 480 quid, and I still have a thousand pula in me kecks

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Sounds brilliant.

Shows we put far too much stock on material things.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I wondered that too, but was too polite to ask.
    It's rural boyo. We have sheeps too.

Today we travelled south 250 km to the Khama rhino reserve.
    Lots of rhinos and warthogs.

Botswana is really growing on me and the missus. We went off road today, and the kids just stared. Never seen a white face. They stared then lit up with fantastic grins, they ran after us whooping and làughing, it was a great day.
    The adults are just as much fun, real sense of humour and quick on the uptake. We took loads of pictures of the places they live, real mud huts, with real grass roofs. I would say that a fair proportion of the population, maybe a quarter, live like that.
    Very humbling, but after a few pints I am back telling the missus Umbongo jokes.

Well, what did you expect?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I thought you said they were amazing - those pictures are terrible. Have I been spoiled watching TV spy shows?

And why is there a cow in your garden?
    If they are so bad, how did you know it was cow?

Let.s see you wriggle out of THAT.

Anyways, it's over 40 here in Francistown, we just visited the street market and got some peanuts, tangerines and f.ew m of fabric

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Access denied - weapons
    Same here.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I thought you said they were amazing - those pictures are terrible. Have I been spoiled watching TV spy shows?

And why is there a cow in your garden?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    This reminds me of someone on here a few years ago who used to hide in the bushes at night while people walked past.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X