• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just booked my apartment for the week of September 18th 2014"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
    I've pre-paid for a fleet of 'Go home or face arrest Jocko' Home Office style advertising vans. They'll be driving around London on 19 September 2014 if the vote is positive.
    Well an independent scotland will not initially be a member of the EU so we should be able to send the lot of them back immediately asap.

Leave a comment:

• SunnyInHades
    replied
    I've pre-paid for a fleet of 'Go home or face arrest Jocko' Home Office style advertising vans. They'll be driving around London on 19 September 2014 if the vote is positive.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I think that article mirrors my major concern at the moment - there just isn't enough information (other than conjecture from the two sides) on the shape of a new Scotland to make an informed decision. It's all very well for Salmond to say what he wants, and for the "No" side to say that won't fly, but no-one knows what would actually be agreed.
    Agreed, there's not enough information.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    I think that article mirrors my major concern at the moment - there just isn't enough information (other than conjecture from the two sides) on the shape of a new Scotland to make an informed decision. It's all very well for Salmond to say what he wants, and for the "No" side to say that won't fly, but no-one knows what would actually be agreed.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Would I? With my company based in the UK I would be able to claim 0% Corporation Tax as I would generating the income in Scotland?

And with 0% corporation tax and the planned welfare state in Scotland I think anything I gained in one hand would soon disappear out of the other in other taxes.
    If operating in Scotland you'd have to register a new Ltd company in Scotland, like some Scotland companies register a head office in London.

Popular debate at the minute is to reduce corporation tax so that companies have more cash on their books to spend on development.

SNP's corporation tax plan is cause for concern, think-tank poll shows

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    But what if you were still there and corporation tax is reduced to 0%. You'd be quids in.
    Would I? With my company based in the UK I would be able to claim 0% Corporation Tax as I would generating the income in Scotland?

And with 0% corporation tax and the planned welfare state in Scotland I think anything I gained in one hand would soon disappear out of the other in other taxes.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'll no longer be there when the vote is held - no way I'm renewing this contract if they won't let me move to a closer office.
    But what if you were still there and corporation tax is reduced to 0%. You'd be quids in.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The yes vote will get about 25%.
    Even that will result in change.

That policy does seem maddening. People would not allow it, more important people are listened to and that is heeded.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 17 August 2013, 09:54.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    IT is the idiotic ideas that Salmond is coming out with about a fairer society that I want nothing to do with. Like this...

Advocates brand SNP plan for families

I ain't living in a country that does stuff like that.
    Ooooh. That is not nice.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The yes vote will get about 25%.

Unless Cameron and the Queen get pictured feasting on the copses of dead Scottish babies nothing will change.

Scotland could do OK anyway if it was ran correctly, it has a decent range of industries that are profitable, fisheries, agriculture, natural resources, tourism, it has a financial centre and whisky is pretty profitable. This is all more than vast swathes of England have.

IT is the idiotic ideas that Salmond is coming out with about a fairer society that I want nothing to do with. Like this...

Advocates brand SNP plan for families

I ain't living in a country that does stuff like that.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Are you going to vote "Yes" though?

All the people I know in Scotland are like yourself and most think the vote is amusing.
    I wish I could vote, as someone with 8 generations before being born there before records become fuzzy. But I can't. And with such legacy it's a real shame that such an important vote shall be treated with such <suitable adjective with a few colourful metaphors>. Makes me sad.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The impression I get from Scots friends on facebook (who may or may not be representative of the larger population) is that a fair number will be voting for independence. I don't think anything's certain at the moment.
    Similar story here amongst my fraternity. Which always seems at odds with the national press. And there's more conversion about what happens to the UK at larger, there's excitement about change.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Shock news! The Scots, relying on high public sector employment, are to the left politically.
    Scotland does not rely upon public sector jobs.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Shock news! The Scots, relying on high public sector employment, are to the left politically.
    Whoever made this link was a headline grabber, a bit like there's more porches in Greece than higher rate taxpayers. There are more public sector workers per capita in English cities than in Scotland, so why is England not lurching to the left?

I'm currently a non-Scot living in Scotland and I've now shifted to the view that I hope the vote is a yes, as long as it doesn't cost the rest of the UK a disproportionate amount, and that Scotland is not allowed to rejoin the UK when it all goes tits up. I used to be of the opinion that the Scots shouldn't be allowed to leave, now I say get rid of them and don't let them back.

"I used to be of the opinion that the Scots shouldn't be allowed to leave"

As Stewie might say 'who the hell do you think you are!' - Anyway the post sounds awfully bitter, and it is a shame.

"When it all goes tits up"

My father in-law is a paid up Tory, yes from deep down in the South. We're of the same opinion, like most I run into these days, Scotland is more than capable of looking after it's own domestic affairs. The state needs to be shrunk to reflect the size of the economy or else we'll be bankrupt in 5 minutes. It's no business being the size that is and nor does it need to be.

In fact I'm of the slight opinion this is what shall happen throughout Europe in years to come, yes the EU will stay together, I've no doubt of that as will the currency. But I do believe states will have greater control of their financial affairs. Taxes collected are spent locally, a little like here in Bavaria.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Of the Scots I work with, most think it's a bloody stupid idea and would vote no. Of the English people I speak to, most are now saying they wish they had a vote so they could vote yes.
    That's the ironic bit. Us English are so feed up with the scots saying that they don't like us we just want shot of the lot of them.

Plus the disaster that would inevitably follow would be fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X