• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Lone Ranger.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Lone Ranger."

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    As Zeity is not her to update the thread, today I was watching Million Dollar Baby.

Leave a comment:

• Forgotmylogin
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    This evening's epic was

Shadow Makers (1989) - IMDb

Paul Newman, Dwight Schultz (who I eventually realised was Lt Barclay), Laura Dern, John Cusak.
    When I saw Lt Barclay it took me a while to realise it was Howlin' Mad Murdoch.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Yesterday evening's entertainment was supposed to be

Heaven's Gate - John Hurt, Kris Kristofferson, Christopher Walken, dir Michael Cimino, 1980. A film so good it killed the studio (UA).

Heaven's Gate (1980) - IMDb
    Fessing up - I actually thought the full version was pretty good compared to the edited - people cant be expected to sit through anything longer than 2 hours-disjointed pos they actually released

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Yesterday evening's diversion was "The Whole Nine Yards" - Bruce Willis, Matthew Perry, Michael Clark Duncan, Natasha Henstridge, Rosanna Arquette, Amanda Peet.

The Whole Nine Yards (2000) - IMDb

Unlike the previous evening's offering, it was quite funny in parts, laugh out loud funny, in fact.
    The film did indeed punch above it's weight but the sequel was tulip.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Finished the remainder of "American Sniper".

I've not been able to watch it all the way through in one sitting on either of the times I've seen it.
    Hmmm....

My copy is still in its cellophane wrapper.

This does not auger well.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    A proper western.... ?

For my sins I watched Blazing Saddles over the weekend.

Can't believe I managed to watch it all the way through.

Beans.

On VHS....

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Almost at the end of "UFO" now, only a couple of episodes and a Fanderson documentary to go.

I shall miss the purple haired ones.

Though I was a bit disappointed in one episode that the purple haired ones didn't have purple hair for some strange reason.

Maybe it was an alternate reality.
    Was that when they were on Earth? They only wear the purple wigs when in Moonbase. The reason is never explained.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Had some time off so been doing a bit of film watching and revisiting some classics like Forbidden Planet.

2 of note, both a bit ultra violent, but of high quality as film making goes.

Heat - Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro, decent supporting cast apart from Val Kilmer who I've never appreciated.
    Reservoir Dogs - Most people will be familiar.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I keep forgetting this is the one true "WIW" thread and prattling about it in TPD instead

Anyway, tonight: The Sum of All Fears, which I only got because there was a special offer on iTunes for something else (probably The Hunt for Red October) a few months ago which deposited a bunch of Jack Ryan stories upon my Apple TV.

[SPOILER ALERT]
    Rather good, I thought, as these hokum movies go. I was rather surprised that Jack's lady friend was seen to be facing a plate glass window as the shockwave from a nuclear explosion hit the hospital she worked in, yet was later seen to have nothing but a couple of trivial scratches just beneath her hairline as a result of this cataclysmic event; but, as I said, hokum
    [/SPOILER ALERT]

And then I watched Taxi Driver, which I picked up on one of those Amazon 3-films-for-£10 deals. They're actually rather good if you dig through the fifty-odd pages of deals and find the occasional gems, like this.

I remember when it came out; there was lascivious press coverage of the young Jodie Foster playing a child prostitute. No doubt that worked well for the studio's sales figures, but it doesn't do the film justice. She's a side story anyway. The exploration of Travis Bickle's psyche, and the depiction of the nighttime streets of New York in those years, are of much greater significance.

I vaguely remember Barry Norman speaking highly of it on Film 76. I would have been fourteen, and only allowed to stay up late enough to watch that if I changed into my pyjamas and dressing gown first. Ho hum

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Just watched the first 3 eps of this geezer:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063881/

HAH HA
    brilliant. I watched the first 6 last week as well.

must watch stig next

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Tonight's ep of "Callan" included Windsor Davies as a Special Branch officer.

Somewhat prior to It ain't half hot, Mum.

It must be said that True Detective S2 didn't exactly have a happy ending.
    I'm really struggling to work out wtf is going on in that show.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Watched Casablanca earlier today and got the Third Man on now, I'd forgotten just how good both of them were.

I must dig out Whisky Galore, not seen that one in far too long.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    This evening's epic was "Excalibur" - John Boorman 1981, with the delectable Helen Mirren and Cherie Lunghi.

Yum.

Excalibur (1981) - IMDb

Trouble is, it's very long (135 mins) and sparks off questions about African swallows & such like, which dilutes the experience a bit.

The Wagner was a nice touch though.

That's the composer rather than the actor.

The chap who looked like Liam Neeson turned out to be Liam Neeson.

Which was a bit unexpected.

Captain Baldy was in it too.

Thankfully the War Criminal wasn't.

Which was a relief.

I remember seeing this in the cinema.

It seemed even longer then.

It might be noted that it could have been even longer, there being a 3 hour cut rumoured to exist.

Heaven forfend.

It's not a bad film, just so far from what we know of the real Arthur, there was no round table, there was no camelot, he was the last Roman emperor and then the first king of Britain

But for all it's faults I've watched this film so many times, it oozes atmosphere and brings the Arthurian myths of the Normans and Malory to life, it's about the best Arthurian film you can expect

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Ex Machina

Super little film.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Watched Georgy Girl tonight (per the monkey).

Not good

Leave a comment:

Working...
X