• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ipcress, Funeral in Berlin, Billion Dollar Brain."

Collapse

• Chunk
    replied
    You were only supposed to blow the bleeping' doors off!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    "The Spy that came in from the cold"?

I have a hazy memory of a fight in Berlin where the bad guy gets speared by a set of drills.

I thought it was in one of the Harry Palmer films, but it wasn't.
    Are you perchance thinking of the punch up in The Odessa File (1974), with John Voight?

Was in a print factory as I (vaguely) recall, and the baddie ends up impaled on some printing machine gadgetry.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Dunno if anyone else has seen the two Harry Palmer films from the 90s?

Not exactly wonderful, but they occupied an otherwise even more tedious several hours.
    Which one featured the Army type in an Austin-Healey 3000?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Oh, this thread again.

Zeity, did you know Harry Palmer came out of retirement for Bullet to Beijing (1995) and Midnight in Saint Petersburg (1996) ?

Perhaps there would have been more, but according to the trivia section in the IMDB page for the St Petersburg film:

Michael Caine stated in his memoir that the making of this film and Bullet to Beijing, "was my worst professional experience ever" and that he decided to quit acting during the production. ...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Ipcress on BBC3

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Pretty sure I have not seen spy who came in from the cold as I had that saved on SKY and waiting to watch recently.

I think the Caine was sent across to find a kidnapped child, there is a woman in a watch repair shop that is his contact. I think the films are all blurring into each other now.

I seem to remember one where he was cooking a meal with tomatoes and red wine at the start.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Was there one that centred around a watch shop in East Germany?

Or was that Richard Burton.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I fear your impression is incorrect.

Aside from this remarkable triple DVD collection, I've seen it as a single DVD.
    Is there a Lego version?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I was under the impression that the “The Billion Dollar Brain” never came out on DVD, if it did your disks are worth quite a bit.

The Billion Dollar Brain should have been made in 70mm Panavision,
    35mm spoilt many scenes

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I know I have seen the The Ipcress File but can't remember any of it, even though I was not born then does that mean I enjoyed the 60s?

I suppose these days spying is all about running a grep on a DB dump file knicked from twitter.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Billion Dollar Brain is mostly notable for its incomprehensible plot (I'm sure there's bits missing) and the extensive use of Honeywell computery.
    Billion Dollar Brain is completely berserk - Definitely a case of jumping the shark, plotwise.

Another good(ish) espionage film starring Michael Caine (and Laurence Olivier) is The Jigsaw Man (1984). Wasn't one of the Harry Palmer series though.

edit: Ooh, clicking around a few times in IMDB I see they're making another film called 1066. Sounds promising. (It's not the low-key Battle for Middle Earth one that was made a couple of years ago, although that was pretty good too in its way)
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 6 August 2013, 08:30.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I liked A Funeral in Berlin because I love Berlin (Kino Kant) and it showed post war Berlin very well, and featured Templehof Airport and a 1959 Cadillac Convertible, the car of cars, if Biarritz and Pink, tho the one in the film was brown and just the bobby basic..

Ich Bin Ein Doughnut!
    And Des Schwartes Cafe on err, Kantstrasse? Love that place and the Zwiebelfisch or whatever opposite-ish, was it a bit lesbo? Need to go back....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I liked A Funeral in Berlin because I love Berlin (Kino Kant) and it showed post war Berlin very well, and featured Templehof Airport and a 1959 Cadillac Convertible, the car of cars, if Biarritz and Pink, tho the one in the film was brown and just the bobby basic..

Ich Bin Ein Doughnut!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I remember enjoying Billion Dollar Brain when I first saw it, but I was probably about twelve at the time. Might hunt it down and watch it again when I next own a TV

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I watched the Ipcress File recently and found it better than I remembered.

Given your review I might skip the Billion Dollar Brain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X