• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rules for a better interview process"

Collapse

• tranceporter
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Also, if you hire a team of people who live their lives on the latest and greatest cutting edge technologies, spend every waking hour on this blog and that forum, you end up with a team that don't deliver what the business requires, they just do what they want to do in the way they want to do it.

The only interest I have is just keeping up enough to keep working. Beyond that's it's an excrutiatingly dull profession to be in.
    Wow. I seem to be in agreeable mood today, but the above sums it up for me. Every word has a grain of truth.
    Last edited by tranceporter; 31 July 2013, 12:50.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Asked to see interviewer's resume to see if the personnel executive was qualified to judge the candidate
    That's a good one! I sometimes wonder about that myself. There's a guy a clientco who was hired by a couple of completely non-technical staff. I looked over 3 candidates technical tests and told them I wouldn't hire any of them. They did anyway

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Surely forums, blog posts and podcasts would be a better bet question nowadays

In the .net world by the time the book is out (technical books have a lead time of 3-6 months) the technology is already half way to being replaced. In node and big data it would probably already be out of date.
    ^^ This. I would rather watch videos on pluralsight subscription than read wrox books.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I ask what technical books they have read recently. If they can't even name one, that's a bad sign IMO.
    What an extraordinary idea - I haven't read a computing book for 20 years

I guess I'm in the DimPrawn camp - There's so many more interesting things to be doing (or reading for that matter) than reading than some geek computer manual.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    That's you off the shortlist then
    Good.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The only interest I have is just keeping up enough to keep working. Beyond that's it's an excrutiatingly dull profession to be in.
    That's you off the shortlist then

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Couldn't agree more.

Dreadful Grocer's's's' apostrophe.

I must admit I spotted it before pressing submit as well but couldn't be bothered to change it

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    The best interview question I have had was from a manager of an investment bank development team in London who was known for being very picky with his hires. I got through a programming test and associated concept discussion to finally meet him.

He told me he wanted to hear about a large complicated project that I had done a lot of work on. We chatted for 10 minutes about Viking history and then he said "Okay, you have had long enough to choose a project now tell me about it".

I told him about when I had lead a team to convert a legacy trade capture system into Chinese which meant porting it to Unicode first. Huge project, took over a year and I was lead programmer and technical manager of a team of 17 based in China.

He asked what the biggest problem was and then probed my solution and asking why I did not use other ideas (mainly ones he thought of as he pointed out if he could think of them in 5 minutes I should have thought of them at the time). There was no technical questions like "what do you think when you see 'delete this' in a function?" but he was absolutely ruthless and it got to the point where I could not answer some of the questions I could not remember the details. He asked me to talk about another project and we discussed a telecoms project I had worked on - we played again and after about 45 minutes I was exhausted and had a headache.

Got offered the gig and then lost it at the last second when someone better qualified jumped in. Ended up in the same bank in a different team which was odd but it worked.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    younger guys who've studied to get into the industry cos it pays well but have no real passion for it as opposed to the older generation who are often largely self taught and got into it cos they love computers. Identifying the ones who do is quite a challenge.
    To put a reverse spin on that, I turned down a (permie) job recently in part because I had the feeling the people I was interviewed by had no real interest in technology or programming and were only in it as a means to an end. Whereas the people at the job I accepted were obviously much more passionate about what they did and there's (hopefully) a genuine desire to push forward and develop new and better products by using new technologies. And that's important to the likes of me.

The former was in the financial services world, and although that might have been a meal ticket for the future, I think I would have been bored out of my mind.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The PhD Java programmer would probably have needed a week or two to get into it but I very much suspect he would producing very well structure code and very well tested code, because PhD´s on the whole are very thorough indeed at what they do.
    If you're a scientist who needs to use programming as a means to an end, but you never had any education in programming, there is a big chance your code is terrible and a bigger chance you have no idea how to structure a project, use version control, etc. Being super smart doesn't imply you're a good programmer - probably they could be trained so that's a long-term hiring decision.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I have no interest in what I do for work outside work. It's dull and tedious the vast majority of the time, and I have enough to do during the day.
    Also, if you hire a team of people who live their lives on the latest and greatest cutting edge technologies, spend every waking hour on this blog and that forum, you end up with a team that don't deliver what the business requires, they just do what they want to do in the way they want to do it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Asking about forums, blogs etc is just to check the person is likely to be interested in what they are doing.
    I have no interest in what I do for work outside work. It's dull and tedious the vast majority of the time, and I have enough to do during the day.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It was better 25 years ago. 5 minute chat - no HR. If you are no good then sad after 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    But you´ve no idea whether he wouldn´t be a good programmer
    So why take the risk? Hiring the wrong person can have a negative effect on the whole project. Much better to wait for someone who can convince you they are right than hire someone who isn't.

A technical test is just a piece of the puzzle, not the sole decision making criteria. The trouble is that most people don't have the flexibility you describe, especially younger guys who've studied to get into the industry cos it pays well but have no real passion for it as opposed to the older generation who are often largely self taught and got into it cos they love computers. Identifying the ones who do is quite a challenge.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    So the best bit of advice I will ever give you is this:

Some people aim to hire guys that read books...
    What they should be doing is hiring the people that can write them instead...

There is a big difference in having the ability to follow instruction as opposed to improvise the application of freely learned knowledge.
    Agreed. I have the same attitude to frameworks and tools. Lots of people know how to use them to do the stuff they already do, some people get into the internals of them and develop a deep understanding, extend them and so on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X