• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you a Ring Virgin?"

Collapse

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I know a bloke who's done the 24 hour bicycle race there, which is the same format as endurance car racing, teams of riders riding shifts of 2 or 3 hours. He said it's bloody scary at 35kmh on a bicycle never mind 135 in a car.
    I usually hit 200 - 210km/h in a few places. Wan't a pax ride?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Tht's particularly true of Wagner. While Verdi (who Wagner hated) had some good singalongs, and so did Puccini, I prefer Wagner's orchestral works, in other words, the bits between the warbling and screeching.
    I quite like the warbling. There should be two rules for Opera: 1. You shouldn't be able to see it, because as soon as you see the performers and the "acting" it's no different to a bad musical (Summer Holiday, or Xanadu spring to mind). And 2. it shouldn't be in a language you can remotely understand.

If you follow both of those, then it's quite a nice noise. For me orchestral music is largely tedious once you get past the "greatest hits", but I could listen to some warbling.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    I have done about 100 laps. Might even go this weekend if the weather behaves.

I know a bloke who's done the 24 hour bicycle race there, which is the same format as endurance car racing, teams of riders riding shifts of 2 or 3 hours. He said it's bloody scary at 35kmh on a bicycle never mind 135 in a car.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Wagner fans are a rum lot...

Last edited by Dark Black; 30 July 2013, 12:40.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    I have done about 100 laps. Might even go this weekend if the weather behaves.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    don't take the missus from behind then!

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The best bits can be OK, but what would put me off going to the opera is all the endless warbling and screeching in between
    Tht's particularly true of Wagner. While Verdi (who Wagner hated) had some good singalongs, and so did Puccini, I prefer Wagner's orchestral works, in other words, the bits between the warbling and screeching.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I've done over 200 laps.

Haven't been for a couple of years though.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The best bits can be OK, but what would put me off going to the opera is all the endless warbling and screeching in between
    don't take the missus then!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I like some of Wagner's music but I'm not going to sit down for 16 hours for the whole Ring cycle.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Apocalypse Now - Ride of the Valkyries (1080p) - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Just askin', like.

I admit it: I'm a Ring virgin | Music | theguardian.com

Must be the most disappointing story I've read all day.

Ho hum.

The opera ain't over until the fat lady sings.

And all that.

I like some of Wagner's music but I'm not going to sit down for 16 hours for the whole Ring cycle.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    started a topic Are you a Ring Virgin?

Are you a Ring Virgin?

Just askin', like.

I admit it: I'm a Ring virgin | Music | theguardian.com

Must be the most disappointing story I've read all day.

Ho hum.

The opera ain't over until the fat lady sings.

And all that.

Working...
X