• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Retail Therapy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Retail Therapy"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I don't mind getting my leg over, just not on a bicycle

So reading these replies, it seems I should be looking for a Miss Marple folding mountain bike. (I also hate low handlebars)
    This should be right up your street then.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Actually this is probably more fun:

A nice soft landing when you fall off.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Actually this is probably more fun:

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Yep, it weighed a bleedin' ton. Nearly 14kg. Wasn't a good fit either.

So have now ordered one of these to try

Much lighter and probably a good compromise between a road bike and a tourer.

Bit concerned about them hills going for a compact rather than a triple, but as the guy in the shop said (not in so few words) I need to MTFU.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Yep, it weighed a bleedin' ton. Nearly 14kg. Wasn't a good fit either.

So have now ordered one of these to try

Much lighter and probably a good compromise between a road bike and a tourer.

Bit concerned about them hills going for a compact rather than a triple, but as the guy in the shop said (not in so few words) I need to MTFU.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    That's a heavy bike. If you're using it for touring then fair enough but if most of it's time isn't touring then get something lighter IMO.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Grrrr. Evans contacted me during the week to make an appointment to try the bike today. Store is over half an hour's drive away. Turned up at the agreed time to be told the bike wasn't ready - it hadn't been built because the saddle was missing. They had not let me know yesterday when they discovered the problem "because it's the weekend". I asked if I could try it with a different saddle and I was told this was not possible - I would need to purchase both bike and a saddle and there would be "no exchanges, no refunds". They're a bike shop ffs, they've got hundreds of saddles. No apology was offered, just the excuse (repeated) that "it's the weekend".
    Will speak to the manager tomorrow, but think I'm going to cancel the order - problem is there's not that many places that do the Dawes bikes, although I think there's one in Oxford which is probably doable.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Or a bus pass
    I thought he had one of those free anyway.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    So reading these replies, it seems I should be looking for a Miss Marple folding mountain bike. (I also hate low handlebars)
    Or a bus pass

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I thought most folding bikes had low or non-existant crossbars.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Libido a bit weak??

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    ... for guys like me who'd rather not have the bother of lifting their leg over ...
    Libido a bit weak??

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    I was going to ask what a 'ladies saddle' was all about, but I googled it instead.

"Avoiding soft tissue damage" phnarr!!
    Our 'sit bones' are differently configured. Something to do with the need to force babies out of a gap between them I believe. Bike shops have a special memory foam pad that allows you to measure them.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Most ladies bikes have a crossbar too. Unless you go for a miss marple shopper.

Dawes do do a ladies galaxy. Unlike the men's, where you have a choice of 3 models (Classic, Super and Ultra) and a range of sizes in those models, for ladies there is one model (Classic) and one size, which is fine if you just happen to be 55 to 58 inches tall. I'm about ten inches too big. Unfortunately it also means you have to shell out extra for a ladies saddle, but will see whether shop will do a swapsie.
    I was going to ask what a 'ladies saddle' was all about, but I googled it instead.

"Avoiding soft tissue damage" phnarr!!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    <sexistmode>
    It's got a crossbar. Call yourself a lady!
    </sexistmode>
    Most ladies bikes have a crossbar too. Unless you go for a miss marple shopper.

Dawes do do a ladies galaxy. Unlike the men's, where you have a choice of 3 models (Classic, Super and Ultra) and a range of sizes in those models, for ladies there is one model (Classic) and one size, which is fine if you just happen to be 55 to 58 inches tall. I'm about ten inches too big. Unfortunately it also means you have to shell out extra for a ladies saddle, but will see whether shop will do a swapsie.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X