• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Need to hire someone"

Collapse

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Only if Bobs code it, properly coded its actually maintainable. I just would not be able to do my work without reflection.
    Agree with that.

If the schema designer has not thought about how schema entities map to type relationships in the code bindings, you can end up with lots of duplicated code that you can't "common up", because of a lack of common base classes in the bindings. You can get around that using reflection. I removed 75% of a code base recently by doing this. You present a type safe layer to callers, all the reflection is hidden from client code.

I keep coming across this problem. These TIBCO experts write these schema and often they are rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Can I ask how you end up with a system that relies on generating code at runtime driven by XML, with no schema support?
    By hiring people who think that is a good idea. We didn't, so that isn't how we solved that particular problem.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    What in the business drives this requirement?
    Our customers want to be able to integrate our products with their other systems without the cost and complexity of coding from scratch. We will generally have schemas, but requiring our customers to preprocess them, compile, deploy the resulting code & glue it all together isn't an option.
    Last edited by doodab; 18 July 2013, 11:05.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Worked on a few generic data applications, they usually start off quite innocent and well meaning but at some point people start concrete coding in the generic types ( usually quick hacks "For the business" ) then all hell breaks loose.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Can I ask how you end up with a system that relies on generating code at runtime driven by XML, with no schema support?

Sounds like a debugging/maintenance nighmare...
    A BA got me into a conversation last year asking if it was possible for a current production application to start creating tables, rows and then populate the tables with data as and when required.

It was battulip crazy ideas like that caused skynet to become aware.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
    Anything that relies on reflection to emit types at runtime is going to be a maintenance nightmare in any case, because you cannot see what you are coding. It will just be a code with lots of GetType(), GetProperties(), GetBindingFlags() and the likes.

Only if Bobs code it, properly coded its actually maintainable. I just would not be able to do my work without reflection.

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Anything that relies on reflection to emit types at runtime is going to be a maintenance nightmare in any case, because you cannot see what you are coding. It will just be a code with lots of GetType(), GetProperties(), GetBindingFlags() and the likes.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I can now see why you lot are contractors. You have no choice. Too long in the tooth to get permie growth roles. Not big picture enough to get senior permie roles.
    It's a terrible price we pay, pocketing a six figure income for 30 years and then putting our feet up.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I can now see why you lot are contractors. You have no choice. Too long in the tooth to get permie growth roles. Not big picture enough to get senior permie roles.
    pipe down, Im watching the ashes

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Well this is pretty much the first thing the guy who gets the gig is going to be working on, so it seems to prudent to ask how he'd go about it.

Sounds like a debugging/maintenance nighmare...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Core Skills:

Java. Web Services. XML. Modern development practices (CI, TDD etc). Good design & problem solving skills.

Technical interview question #1:

You have a tree data structure that you need process, doing something different with each leaf in turn, and collating the results into another parallel tree. How would you go about that?

There is a question #2 for people who do well on #1.
    You are asking the wrong question. Try "can you give an example where you have bribed the interviewer to get a role?".

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    The problem that you are crap at finding suitable interview questions? I think dim covered that a fair few pages ago and gave you a better structure.
    Well this is pretty much the first thing the guy who gets the gig is going to be working on, so it seems to prudent to ask how he'd go about it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    At this stage I'm not being language specific, I'm just trying to see if you have actually grasped the problem.
    The problem that you are crap at finding suitable interview questions? I think dim covered that a fair few pages ago and gave you a better structure.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Just use C++ like a real programmer.
    I could even port it for you?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I don't think any of us are talking about Java except yourself
    At this stage I'm not being language specific, I'm just trying to see if you have actually grasped the problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X