• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Modafinil anyone?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Modafinil anyone?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Whatever happened to ProPlus? That was the choice of drug when I were a lad taking my exams (actually never took it as it said caffeine in it and I didn't like coffee at the time )

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    There's no vitriol. It's simply how we deal with cretins in General, and in general.
    Still, it's always interesting to see natural selection in action.

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    what tha fook is wrong with Red Bull?
    It gives me indigestion.

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    You are thinking of childrens social workers. Awful job, never wanted to do it and probably never could. They get a bit more than £15k, though not enough to make me want to do it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    yes, for sitting on their arse all day and pretending to work.
    I think you're confusing social workers with their line managers. Everyone I met in this field is super-committed to it and passionate about helping people... no way you would do it otherwise, it's a horrible horrible job. Same goes for working as a PCSO, seeing the worst of humanity every day and knowing you can't do much about it other than mop up the mess.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That gravy train of £15k a year, having to work with some of the worst people in society?

yes, for sitting on their arse all day and pretending to work.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Dont you have a gravy train to catch and pretend to work while sitting on your arse all day ?

idiot!
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Not all social workers are child social workers.
    That gravy train of £15k a year, having to work with some of the worst people in society?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    Has anyone here tried Modafinil on a sensible basis? By which I don't mean using it to stay awake for 60 hours plus then complaining it made you feel tulip.

After resisting it for a long time I took one the other day (prescribed for someone else) and it was absolutely great, felt alert, relaxed, decision making was great, not high or jittery, then it wore off and I had a relaxed evening followed by a good night's sleep.

It's against my normal prinicples to take any drugs except what is essential and prescribed for me, but I must say I am very tempted to order some online and take them occasionally if it improves my life this much. I guess there must be a few IT contractors out there who have tried it given the pressures to work long hours you chaps are under sometimes ....
    Bl00dy youngsters these days... amphetamine not good enough?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The vitriol is quite odd...
    There's no vitriol. It's simply how we deal with cretins in General, and in general.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Bloke here raving about it

How I Became Mighty with Modafinil

But I think his closing sentence is why you should steer clear.

"There is truly one nasty side effect of coming off of modafinil: You go back to normal. And normal is pretty tulipty compared to mighty."
    This is interesting as if you think many people do many perfectly healthy things to get a high - exercise for example can leave you feeling pretty much top of the world - which means there is surely a come down....

Is the human body designed to be 'normal' all the time or is the whole point that there are many ways to get a 'high' so why not use them and enjoy them - lets face it yolo so fooking enjoy it and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Mudskipper

Good points there. I vaguely remember that Ecstasy messes with dopamine production and there is evidence that people who take the stuff end up producing less dopamine naturally and hence get depressed. However this stuff is clinically tested, and prescribed in the UK and all over the world for folk with genuine fatigue related to MS and the like, plus narcolepsy which used to be only treatable by amphetamines. Doesnt make it 100% safe because no drug is.

I too have a mild anxiety most days that my energy might run out before the end of the day, especially if I have something on in the evening after a day's work. It was shockingly good to have that anxiety taken away.
    what tha fook is wrong with Red Bull?

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    45 seconds of googling nodafinil abuse leads to this. Fill yer boots.

Safety Concerns Raised Over Wakefulness Drug Modafinil - TIME
    Interesting. Though the research was on people who took 2-400mg, described as average therapeutic doses but actually far higher than usually prescribed in the UK (100mg) and then describes it as a party/recreational drug used by people who want to stay awake for long periods. So not therapeutic use at all, in fact highly excessive use. Still, it shows nothing is without risk.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

"There is truly one nasty side effect of coming off of modafinil: You go back to normal. And normal is pretty tulipty compared to mighty."
    I think his opening paragraph is why you should steer clear.

"The harder it is to get the better it usually works. There’s a prescription only drug called Modafinil. To purchase modafinil you must get a prescription from your local and kindly Doctor or you must go through the hassle of ordering from an online oversea’s pharmacy."

That is an outrageous misuse of the apostrophe.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    45 seconds of googling nodafinil abuse leads to this. Fill yer boots.

Safety Concerns Raised Over Wakefulness Drug Modafinil - TIME

Either way, you're going to make a mess, and surprisingly fast. Volkow points out that even without increasing dopamine output, modafinil blocks the re-uptake of more than half the amount the brain naturally releases. "This completely negates the argument that modafinil has no dopaminergenic effect," she says. "It does have the drug signature required to produce addiction." The safe party drug, once again, is not nearly as safe as it seems.

Read more: Safety Concerns Raised Over Wakefulness Drug Modafinil - TIME

Leave a comment:

Working...
X