• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How many miles will a BMW 5 series 530D do?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Get anything you want to buy AA checked. Not a lot to avoid a ringer so money well spent IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    If it’s automatic; you’re in for some big bills like £1200 for a plastic clip when it sticks in ‘Park’
    Never seen a manual E320CDI.

To be honest, that's what scrap yards are for.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    If it’s automatic; you’re in for some big bills like £1200 for a plastic clip when it sticks in ‘Park’

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    As do I. We had a 2003 E320CDI (W210) estate for 10 years, which was only changed this year for an R320CDI that was faultless, literally. If you have a good one, they're capable of inter-stellar mileage and are quality. However, the 2003-2009 (W211) years were an unbridled failure for the E, especially years 2004-2008. We avoided them years, and bought the 2010 R320 this year, although I loathe the R class (it's the wifes' car). Maybe unbelievably, the E Class isn't big enough for 3 kids in the back, not with the car seats you have ot have!

If you have a good one, which I hope, you'll enjoy a lot of car for the money, and hopefully for a long time. I'd recommend, at that age, and for that model, if you're going to run it for a long long time, use a local garage, and service it twice a year, and you will genuinely enjoy 10 years of comfortable cheap motoring. Use Mercedes main dealers, and you will be raped each time you visit them. I know from painful experience...

Agreed. There is no way I am going to spend 10k for servicing on a car I spent 5k for.....

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I am aware it is a bit of a gamble but at 5k I thought it is worthwhile.... Also I know plenty of owners of E Class Mercs in that range. A few have had problems yes but majority are ok so I just hope I fall into the majority!
    As do I. We had a 2003 E320CDI (W210) estate for 10 years, which was only changed this year for an R320CDI that was faultless, literally. If you have a good one, they're capable of inter-stellar mileage and are quality. However, the 2003-2009 (W211) years were an unbridled failure for the E, especially years 2004-2008. We avoided them years, and bought the 2010 R320 this year, although I loathe the R class (it's the wifes' car). Maybe unbelievably, the E Class isn't big enough for 3 kids in the back, not with the car seats you have ot have!

If you have a good one, which I hope, you'll enjoy a lot of car for the money, and hopefully for a long time. I'd recommend, at that age, and for that model, if you're going to run it for a long long time, use a local garage, and service it twice a year, and you will genuinely enjoy 10 years of comfortable cheap motoring. Use Mercedes main dealers, and you will be raped each time you visit them. I know from painful experience...

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Now that will bite you on the ass. The model from 2004 to 2008 was renowned as being the most unreliable E-Class there was. Has an offset driving position too, which I didn't like.

However, the engine is top drawer, with endless torque. £5k is cheap mind. 2009 models still trading for 14k, so you've either got a bargain, or a dawg.
    I am aware it is a bit of a gamble but at 5k I thought it is worthwhile.... Also I know plenty of owners of E Class Mercs in that range. A few have had problems yes but majority are ok so I just hope I fall into the majority!

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Test drove a lexus on Saturday and didn't like the drive or interior. Couldn't find a decent beema for the money I was offering. In the end I opted for a nice E Class 320D (CDI). Awesome 3 litre engine with 70k miles, leather interior, nice gadgets, 2005 model. All for a very reasonable 5k. Test drove sold it to me.
    Now that will bite you on the ass. The model from 2004 to 2008 was renowned as being the most unreliable E-Class there was. Has an offset driving position too, which I didn't like.

However, the engine is top drawer, with endless torque. £5k is cheap mind. 2009 models still trading for 14k, so you've either got a bargain, or a dawg.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Test drove a lexus on Saturday and didn't like the drive or interior. Couldn't find a decent beema for the money I was offering. In the end I opted for a nice E Class 320D (CDI). Awesome 3 litre engine with 70k miles, leather interior, nice gadgets, 2005 model. All for a very reasonable 5k. Test drove sold it to me.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Not sure how a beemer diesel costs less to maintain? All those Euro emission filters that cost £400 a go plus fitting....
    My point is I'd be able to save on fuel so it can kind of justify the costs but the extra cost of fuel and maintenance is like being buggered both ways.

Also I am considering the Lexus Diesel engines as well.
    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 5 July 2013, 15:25.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Cost of maintenance - If I am going to get a BMW then I'm gonna get a diesel.....
    Not sure how a beemer diesel costs less to maintain? All those Euro emission filters that cost £400 a go plus fitting....

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yep. But then you was looking at diesel BMW's now you are looking at petrol cars?

Why not look at a 530i or 330i Beemer? Cheaper dan der diesel to buy....
    Boooyakasha! Nuff respec. Gotta have that Beemer to get down'n'dirty wiv the hos.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Yep. But then you was looking at diesel BMW's now you are looking at petrol cars?

Cost of maintenance - If I am going to get a BMW then I'm gonna get a diesel.....

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I'd save some cash and go for something like this.

Jaguar X-Type 3.0 V6 SE 4DR AUTO 2003

or if you'd rather spend more what about

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1306077170344/

or a Merc C class

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1306307565804/
    Last edited by doodab; 5 July 2013, 14:21.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Slap on some 20's wiv chrome spinners mate.
    Is that not a lot of car for your money:

Lexus IS 250 SE 4dr 2.4 Full Mag Leather - History 2006

and this:

Lexus IS 250 SE 4dr Auto 2.4 TAX AND TESTED READY TO GO 2006

Leave a comment:

Working...
X