• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: TV Licence

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "TV Licence"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No, you cretin. HTH, BIDI.
    Oh that's right, you're a snob who considers any new artform is inherently worse than an old one. I bet born in another time you'd have been slagging off the printing press.

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    If you have a tv connection (sky box etc), or a TV set that gets freeview HD out of the box, you cannot do much. In our case, we watch movies via Xbox Live Gold + Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc. No TV subscription. So we told them we are not paying a dime, and they have added a note on their records, that we do not watch any live tv. No more junk letters.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Isn't that a bit like saying there are very few books worth reading?
    Relative to the number of books ever written (which a quick google makes ~ 130 million) surprisingly few of them are worth reading, perhaps ten thousand at most.

I'd guess there have been at least a factor of 10 less DVDs than books created, and I'd wager that less than 1000 of them are worth watching.

This of course depends on one's personal taste. Some people have very low thresholds.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Isn't that a bit like saying there are very few books worth reading?
    No, you cretin. HTH, BIDI.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    BBC criticised for £25m severance bill for 150 managers

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I don't actually own one.
    Good man - just saying you could if you wanted to

I use mine to watch streaming films in the living room. More space for GF#1 to throw her clothes off!

Leave a comment:

• The Central Scrutinizer
    replied
    I worked at the BBC (contract is outsourced to Crapita). The management is weak although they talk a good game and couldn't make a decision if their life depended on it and the contractor is out of control...................I could go on..........................anybody got a link for a journo at the Daily Mail

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    There are very few DVDs worth watching. Generally any decent film is better watched in the cinema followed by a good dinner. Although I do watch the occassional DVD on my iMac
    Isn't that a bit like saying there are very few books worth reading? And I find that while the cinema at its best is far better than a DVD, it is so rarely at its best due to people on phones, kids being noisy, etc, that it's not worth it.

Surely a proper contractor has a home cinema anyway, next to the library?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Nope. If I want to read the output of ex Student Union Meeja Studies types, I'll take a look at the Guardian.
    Daily Express

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Or, more conveniently:

I don't actually own one.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Ever use the BBC website?
    Nope. If I want to read the output of ex Student Union Meeja Studies types, I'll take a look at the Guardian.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Or, more conveniently:

I have to admit cheating a bit though. The one time I would want to watch Tv would be for sport: Wimbledon final, World cup final , Ashes, stuff like that. Then I switch on my telly.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I have to admit cheating a bit though. The one time I would want to watch Tv would be for sport: Wimbledon final, World cup final , Ashes, stuff like that. Then I find someone who has a telly.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Get rid of your Tv. Use the time to do more interesting stuff.
    Life becomes so much better/more productive.
    What the guru says.

It's easy to get rid of the licence (as I've posted in the past) and to avoid the travelling salesmen knocking on your door.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

£145.50 to support the Labour Party's TV channel!

Indeed.
    Though there are some on here who still think the BBC is politically impartial

Do a youtube search on "tv licence". Apparently they can only fine you for not having one if you admit it, or they can get into your home to see this first hand.

And while the TV licencing people do get magistrates warrants to gain entry, by policy they never enforce them:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X