• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Now it emerges that the World Wars were fought in vain ...."

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I bought a "German" car.

It was made in Spain and I did 105k in it.

The German car, built in Germany was a grade A piece of crap & didn't do 10k.

YMMV
    What cars exactly were those?

Leave a comment:

• Gym beast
    replied
    We have to remember that the Germans had undergone an 'Inglorious Fifteen' years, and right up to about 2009 their economy was considered 'The Sick Man of Europe'. At one point in 2007-08 I think we were just a few percentage points away from finally matching their per-capita GDP, which we hadn't done since the 60's. Just because their economic model weathered the recession a bit better than ours did means little. They have come NOWHERE near making good the ground they lost in those 15 years since then.

Just having a reputation for fast growth throughout the 50's/60's/70's is now dim history. They have even less basis for strong future growth than we do. Eastern Germany, with it's still-ingrained communist lethargy, is still as heavy as load on their economy as it was in the mid-90's.

There will be no great Renaissance of the German economy. It will just fumble along, in a race of the European turtles over the next few years. And "Race" is a kind word. Think of a flock of sheep without a shepherd.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    , no not quite. I'll leave that one for you.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Thing is outside of a handful of cities, Germany is fooking dull as ditchwater. i know from experience.
    You being as dull as ditchwater on a daily basis.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I have had a French car, several Italian cars, a couple of German cars and one British car. The French car is a mistake I'd rather forget. The German cars were very good and Lady Tester still drives one and it sort of fits her Germanic looks and style. The Italian cars were great fun, beautiful to look at but crap. The British car is actually the best I've owned up to now.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I bought a "German" car.

It was made in Spain and I did 105k in it.

The German car, built in Germany was a grade A piece of crap & didn't do 10k.

YMMV
    I have had a French car, several Italian cars, a couple of German cars and one British car. The French car is a mistake I'd rather forget. The German cars were very good and Lady Tester still drives one and it sort of fits her Germanic looks and style. The Italian cars were great fun, beautiful to look at but crap. The British car is actually the best I've owned up to now.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Outside of a handful of cities and a few bits of spectacular scenery, most of the world can be a bit dull. But Koblenz, Köln and Hamburg are pretty good places really. Berlin's exciting, but very brash and a bit rough, Frankfurt is full of bankers, OK if your like that kind of thing, München's a bit touristy, Stuttgart's not bad at all. I'd choose Koblenz, probably for the climate and the vineyards.
    Not one is a patch on London. That's why all the rich people come here.
    Berlin is the city I know the best but it feels provincial. Cologne is OK.
    Problem is Germans are dull really, if you are used to a more cosmopolitan milieu.
    Stereotypes get created for a reason, the dull but worthy, unspontaneous German is a truism.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am planning to buy a German car, that'll show 'em!!!

Is that your girlfriend in the back?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I don't think most of Europe is going to be fighting over them anytime soon, what are Greece and Portugal going to do with highly-trained grads when they have depression level economies - caused by German policy?
    I don't suppose the Meds enjoy being in dull areas of rural Germany, but needs must.
    Thing is outside of a handful of cities, Germany is fooking dull as ditchwater. i know from experience.
    Outside of a handful of cities and a few bits of spectacular scenery, most of the world can be a bit dull. But Koblenz, Köln and Hamburg are pretty good places really. Berlin's exciting, but very brash and a bit rough, Frankfurt is full of bankers, OK if your like that kind of thing, München's a bit touristy, Stuttgart's not bad at all. I'd choose Koblenz, probably for the climate and the vineyards.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I am planning to buy a German car, that'll show 'em!!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    There already is quite a lot of immigration getting started from Italy, Greece and Spain, particularly young, trained or educated people who can't find jobs back home. Precisely the kind of people that most of Europe's going to be fighting over before long, but that most of Europe hasn't realised it's going to need. Remember that Germany has absorbed a lot of people from those countries relatively succesfully in the past and can probably do so again.
    I don't think most of Europe is going to be fighting over them anytime soon, what are Greece and Portugal going to do with highly-trained grads when they have depression level economies - caused by German policy?
    I don't suppose the Meds enjoy being in dull areas of rural Germany, but needs must.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    There is about to be a neccessarily huge influx of immigration into Germany* as the population declines precipitously - this will make immigration to the UK under Labour look like a drop in the ocean.
    Time will tell what effect this has on the Germany economy and society.

*or German companies will move to where there is labour, or both.
    There already is quite a lot of immigration getting started from Italy, Greece and Spain, particularly young, trained or educated people who can't find jobs back home. Precisely the kind of people that most of Europe's going to be fighting over before long, but that most of Europe hasn't realised it's going to need. Remember that Germany has absorbed a lot of people from those countries relatively succesfully in the past and can probably do so again.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yep, there are issues with immigration and low level employment in Germany, but at least they have the economic means to deal with their problems.
    There is about to be a neccessarily huge influx of immigration into Germany* as the population declines precipitously - this will make immigration to the UK under Labour look like a drop in the ocean.
    Time will tell what effect this has on the German economy and society.

*or German companies will move to where there is labour, or both. In the end companies will not respect national borders, even German ones.
    Last edited by sasguru; 26 June 2013, 13:39.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Feck me, in all your years, did you not learn to speak English?
    No chance with German, then, you'll always be a 2nd class despised auslander.
    I think a lot of auslanders are actually doing quite well in Germany. Your German contractormobile was probably built by Turks, designed by Italians, engineered by Germans, transported by Czechs and marketed to you by Brits. Except I thought you drove a 2nd hand Datsun

Yep, there are issues with immigration and low level employment in Germany, but at least they have the economic means to deal with their problems.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    10-4, the feckless need not apply. Probably why there is not an emigration problem in Germany similar to the levels recently in the UK. Makes you wonder, dat, why they all choose to congregate in and around the London area.
    Feck me, in all your years, did you not learn to speak English?
    No chance with German, then, you'll always be a 2nd class despised auslander.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X