• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Taking out a will

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Taking out a will"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It will be especially important after tonight's big win.
    The cats' home is already eying up diamond collars.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    It will be especially important after tonight's big win.

Leave a comment:

• geoffreywhereveryoumaybe
    replied
    Come November, try will aid Will Aid

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If it's straightforward, then do it yourself - my first will was one that I wrote myself and then got witnessed correctly. Then when I got married, that one became void.

If there is any complexity, then get a solicitor to do it - won't cost much to do. Make sure you get a copy of it, and make sure that someone else knows where the will is kept - my family had no idea which solicitor had copies, and we didn't have one at home.
    Bit in bold is critical. My sister's partner was very sick and made a will in her favour. They got married and he didn't make a new will. When he died he was intestate which was very stressful.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Did that involve travelling anywhere or someone coming out to you - also did you get the witnesses yourself?
    Bloke came to our house, got witnessed ourselves by people at work.

Cost about £120 if I remember correctly.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    HMG will get it all sooner or later... with 40% death tax it won't take many generations
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    If you die intestate it does not mean your wife inherits, in theory HMG could get the lot!
    HMG will get it all sooner or later... with 40% death tax it won't take many generations

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Freebie: Do Your Own Will Online — Free Online Will. There's even an app

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    We did ours 22 years ago. Hubby still hasn't got round to getting his signed...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Aye but with a contractor you get a contractor doing the work but with a solicitor you pay for a solicitor and a 17 year old spotty oik on minimum wage does the work...
    +1

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    We had one done by a solicitor about 15 years ago. Five years ago, we re-did it using an online service. I couldn't see the difference - except in the amount that it cost.

If you're following the normal inheritance paths, there really is no need to involved a professional.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I need to find someone in cloggers, we're looking at buying a house over here and with the house in blighty as well.

Though its not going to be cheap if the notary that reviewed my last contract is anything to go by, at least €800

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    The wife and I used Willwriting Service Limited.
    Did that involve travelling anywhere or someone coming out to you - also did you get the witnesses yourself?

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I need to make a will out and was wondering if I can use an online service, a WHS Smith pack or whether it's best to get a solicitor in? How did you lot do it?

I used the search first to see if anyone else had asked & they had but it was such a poor quality thread I thought it best to ask it again.
    The wife and I used Willwriting Service Limited.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    my point being it amuses me that contractors like to be well-paid professionals, yet whine when they need to use the services of well-paid professionals, such as dentists, accountants and lawyers.
    Well, yes, but that's because we know what a bunch of amateurish charlatans we are and assume that other well paid professionals are just googling for the answers like what we do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X