• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does running with weights help?"

Collapse

• oracleslave
    replied
    Interval training should help with improved fitness and weight loss?

Interval training for runners - Live Well - NHS Choices

If you're just doing the same old 5km run every time, your body soon becomes comfortable. You need to "shock it" with something new.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Any hints on how I can get fitter? Would love to get to < 30mins for my 5K which doesn't seem an overly ambitious target, but not getting any closer to it.
    Try one of those "Faster 5k" apps on your smartphone of choice. I used the Couch to 5k version a couple of years ago and found it quite motivating - as well as being targeted to your goal, it's a proper "program".

Also, have you seen a doctor? If you've been doing 5k regularly for a few months without any time improvements, and your HR is still up at 99% of theoretical max, you might have an underlying condition.

OR - did you set up the HR monitor correctly? I think theoretical max is 220-your age so if it thinks you're 50 and you're only 40...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Well there is that but since my weight was only increasing ever so slowly with a 100% sedentary life - WFH and no sport - I kind of figured doing a sensible amount of exercise would have a marked effect.

Even taking a few days off all booze a week doesn't seem to do much, and I'm sure that's where all the extra calories are coming from... I don't have a snacking habit or takeaways 3 times a week I can easily cut down on - just a liking for fine whisky

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I seem to be getting fitter but no less fat. I'd really hoped the opposite would happen!
    Eat/drink less? Exercise make me hungry - I'm sure I consume more calories than I burn.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I seem to be getting fitter but no less fat. I'd really hoped the opposite would happen!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    In a similar boat; bought a cycling machine purely to lose weight. Despite the fact my weight was only climbing veeeeeery slowly before that, and that I use it 3-4 times a week for 30-45 minutes each time, it has made no difference at all to the tummy. Although it has made my legs visibly more shapely, that's not really helpful when I generally have a good figure with a belly stuck on!
    When I first ran, I was pleasantly surprised to find how much my tummy muscles ached - so worth a try. No-one's asked me "when is it due?" for over a year, so its working. (Or I look too old...)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's a bit depressing - I've been doing the running for over a year now with very little real improvement. Over the last few months I've been running 3x a week, cycling a couple of times and chucking in the odd swim for good measure, yet don't seem to be getting any fitter.
    In a similar boat; bought a cycling machine purely to lose weight. Despite the fact my weight was only climbing veeeeeery slowly before that, and that I use it 3-4 times a week for 30-45 minutes each time, it has made no difference at all to the tummy. Although it has made my legs visibly more shapely, that's not really helpful when I generally have a good figure with a belly stuck on!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Sprints and strength training with weights

The sprints will increase your lung capacity and general cardio strength
    The strength training i.e. weighted squats will just make the running easier

If you are a member of a gym then have a couple of sessions with a trainer to make sure you're doing it right

It took me less than 6 months to go from barely able to run 1k without stopping to running 5k in under 25 minutes (according to endomondo and parkrun)
    Not a member of a gym - never really appealed. But will give the sprints thing a go and might sign up for my free BMF session now the weather's improved. There's a parkrun a bit further away that's got some mean hills - done it once, but might have a few more goes at that to improve the general fitness.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Any hints on how I can get fitter? Would love to get to < 30mins for my 5K which doesn't seem an overly ambitious target, but not getting any closer to it.
    Sprints and strength training with weights

The sprints will increase your lung capacity and general cardio strength
    The strength training i.e. weighted squats will just make the running easier

If you are a member of a gym then have a couple of sessions with a trainer to make sure you're doing it right

It took me less than 6 months to go from barely able to run 1k without stopping to running 5k in under 25 minutes (according to endomondo and parkrun)
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 15 July 2013, 19:28.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    My shiny new HR monitor arrived this morning - haven't used one before. Did my normal plod round the pond (about 40 minutes), and according to my gadget my average HR is 94% of my max (and if you take out the first .5k, it's around 99% for the rest)

So reading stuff, I should be aiming for a lower intensity, but any slower and I'd be walking. It's a bit depressing - I've been doing the running for over a year now with very little real improvement. Over the last few months I've been running 3x a week, cycling a couple of times and chucking in the odd swim for good measure, yet don't seem to be getting any fitter.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That kind of thing - very small weights tactically placed to target individual muscles - sounds like it should be fine. As opposed to the "sling a couple of bricks in a rucksack" approach

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Not done it for a while but I have in the past used 1kg arm weights over a few weeks in my run training, keeping them moving takes a good bit of oxygenated blood away from the lower half and it makes for a tougher run on the legs. It also gets the arms more involved in the stride which can add speed.

Would never do it on the legs.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    run faster or up a hill.
    +1, and even try running downhill.

Leave a comment:

• mickey
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Running is good for your body apart from the joints which have a limited life span. The more you run, the earlier in life you will get disease of the joints. Cycling is ok apart from cauing retile dysfunction. Walking is OK, especially to the Pub
    And running with weights is helpful why?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    WTF is 'retile dysfunction'??

Do you mean this?

Urban Dictionary: Reptile dysfunction

Leave a comment:

Working...
X