• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Online share dealing sites"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    These guys are good www.idealing.com (I helped found them in 2000!) Not that I ever saw any share value from the basterds either way a good (cheap) day traders option...

just stay away from CFD and spread betting they are options for the clinically insane

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    There were some good tips in here http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...d-betting.html

The thread was about spread betting, but I reckon that the same advice applies to any type of gambling.
    Thank you.
    And post number two in that thread:

Don't do it.

I guy I used to work with is about to lose his house from it.

Perhaps I'll stick with the digging up treasure idea.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    There were some good tips in here http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...d-betting.html

The thread was about spread betting, but I reckon that the same advice applies to any type of gambling.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by jlharris View Post
    Is it something anybody can get into or does it need much skill?
    It is: identify which shares are undervalued, buy them, wait for them to go up, then sell them.

Leave a comment:

• jlharris
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Buy low sell high is my usual modus operandi

HTH
    Is it something anybody can get into or does it need much skill?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    Hello

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent online share dealing sites ?
    I use:
    http://interactivebrokers.com

It is more sophisticated than most of them, and is intended for semi-professional investors and traders.

Or just speeding up the process of my house being repossessed because I've lost everything.
    You may joke, but newcomers to share trading with an attitude of hoping to be "making a few million on the stock market instead" are lambs to the slaughter in the markets.

Successful share trading is no easier than working for a living, and those who think it is are those who lose money.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Very good advice, and I know I really do need to get myself trained up.
    But I've spent over 25 years in IT, and have hated every minute of it.
    Just cannot bear (bare? i dunno) the thought of paying thousands of pounds to train in something I don't want to know, to stay in an industry I don't want to stay in.
    I need a career change. I want to dig up buried treasure for a living. I'm going to buy a spade.
    You could always dig the treasure up yourself and get fit at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post

HTH
    I prefer momentum. Buy high, sell higher.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by jlharris View Post
    Has anybody actually got any tips on share dealing?

HTH

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    clinical neurophysiologist.
    I can give it a try I suppose...
    Go for it, its not exactly brain surgery

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Just cannot bear (bare? i dunno) the thought of paying thousands of pounds to train in something I don't want to know, to stay in an industry I don't want to stay in.
    I need a career change. I want to dig up buried treasure for a living. I'm going to buy a spade.
    I've got a career change coming up so can see what you mean. How about working in Sustainable/renewable energies, as it's going to be a big growth area, especially in the SW.

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Or train up on something on the UK skills shortage list

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...nlistnov11.pdf
    clinical neurophysiologist.
    I can give it a try I suppose...

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

Then don't spend the time gambling your money, but training in something else, that people need. Jeez, for 4k you could reinvent yourself as a DBA with the right training, then ensure your CV says DBA work in every gig you did.

Leave a comment:

• jlharris
    replied
    Has anybody actually got any tips on share dealing? Always wondered how easy it is, how much money you need to put into it, etc?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Or train up on something on the UK skills shortage list

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...nlistnov11.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X