• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: My Idea of Hull

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My Idea of Hull"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Now then, Croydon strikes me as a boring poo-hole anyway, so why did someone go to the trouble of attaching an 'East Croydon' to it? Wasn't one Croydon enough?
    It was around the time when the councils were dividing up the land into long thin triangles.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    East Croydon
    Now then, Croydon strikes me as a boring poo-hole anyway, so why did someone go to the trouble of attaching an 'East Croydon' to it? Wasn't one Croydon enough?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Yeovil.

I've mentioned it before.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    East Croydon

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by rdglad View Post
    Whats wrong with Zurich?
    The locals.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Milton Keynes

Car kept getting nicked, the police knew who were doing it but were too afraid to take them on "we dont have enough officers to risk them getting upset" etc

Leave a comment:

• rdglad
    replied
    Whats wrong with Zurich?

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I'd take Farnham or Woking anyday. My worst, in order of crapness

Zurich
    Accrington
    Burton Upon Trent
    Hounslow

EDIT: Hungerford

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    on the project or in Wales?
    The project was just me so not that! In fact we used my old but then fairly newish in a second-hand sort of way, Sun Ultra 60 which I never got back...

The employees of Carmarthen County Council were 99% demicks.....

At the end of this, I drove to Cardiff airport to fly back to Glasgow where I had another hire car to drive back down the Dumfries, where I'd left my proper car to drive back home to Moniaive (tiny village 17 miles from Dumfries).

Last plane 21:00 ish, delayed, delayed, delayed, cancelled and I had to be home that night - or by 8:00am next day to relieve the babysitter (oo,err). Everyone flocked to the BMI desk for a moan and argue for a hotel, I scurried off to the car hire place and nabbed the only car left - a top of the range 4x4 Renault Scenic. Three lasses also missed the the car rush so I volunteered to drive them back up to Scotland and split the car hire cost.

Expect none of them could drive, so off we went M4, M5, M6, A74, M74 to Lesmahagow where lass one was dropped off, the to Glasgow Airport for my other hire car. Except the two lasses left had to way of getting to Dunbarton (shiitehole) to I dropped them off there, getting back over the Erskine Bridge before they closed it due to high winds.

Weather getting worse...

Anyway, back to Glasgow Airport, filled car up, dropped it off, and collected my other hire car, a poxy Ford Ka, and set off back down the M74.

Fog, rain, the effing lot, visibilty nil, 30 mph, and I was falling asleep. Off at Beattock, into DFS, dropped the shed off, picked up my car and drove home to the village, 07:55.

Relieved the baby sitter (overnight babysitting common in this village - a lot of journeyman types) and got the kids off to school, went to bed after being up for about 30 hrs and driving for 13 of them, couldn't sleep.

TL;DR

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Did a week onsite in Carmarthen 99% of people there were terminally thick.
    on the project or in Wales?

Leave a comment:

• jlharris
    replied
    Scunthorpe and Mansfield- oh dear.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Did a week onsite in Carmarthen doing a Tarantella (now Oracle Secure Global Desktop) install, that was grim.

Even the English blokes had to answer the phone in Welsh for the initial greeting - they had it in phonetics on a little card on the phone.

99% of people there were terminally thick.

Leave a comment:

• engAD
    replied
    Can't believe no one has mentioned it....Telford.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Leeds

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Slough
    +1 for Slough, but it was my first contract and paid £500 pd so I didn't complain. East Leeds was a bit grim as well.

Poor old SAS is contracting at his home.

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Worst was in Theale - Theale itself was OK, but I was stuck in a portacabin in an empty warehouse with lots of bobs who liked to heat up their curries in the tiny unventilated kitchen. Afternoons really were hellish.
    WSS - There as well. Six months in the most boring village ever.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X