• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying vehicle - Which one"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I don't like change!
    I hope it doesn't change too much. I'd have one tomorrow...

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I do, and I want one, and have registered my needs with LR. Seems to me, they're just refining the solution, so it doesn't look too girly for the farmers.

But, imo, it will be made.
    I don't like change!

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I know the defender is getting retired, I just think LR won't replace it especially with the DC100.
    I do, and I want one, and have registered my needs with LR. Seems to me, they're just refining the solution, so it doesn't look too girly for the farmers.

But, imo, it will be made.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    Shirley you should be going for a Toyota Hilux. Unstoppable, unbreakable things.
    Plus you can look like the chap from "The Fall Guy".
    We use Hilux type vehicles on site all day long, the have the 2nd row of seats so you can carry people safely; they are solid & survive the thrashing the operations guys hand them.
    Get my vote.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    DC100 has been put on hold, and will replace the defender, as in 2015, the defender will no longer pass any of the stricter laws coming in.
    I know the defender is getting retired, I just think LR won't replace it especially with the DC100.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    What you really want though is something to tell people coming the other way down a narrow country lane to **** off out of the way, like this: Marauder: Multi-role, highly agile mine-protected armoured vehicle

or does that and goes really fast as well: Bowler | Racing and High Performance all terrain vehicles

I only ever had one of these:

I think the girls would complain quite a lot

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    What you really want though is something to tell people coming the other way down a narrow country lane to **** off out of the way, like this: Marauder: Multi-role, highly agile mine-protected armoured vehicle

or does that and goes really fast as well: Bowler | Racing and High Performance all terrain vehicles

I only ever had one of these:

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    22 weeks wait isn't great though. They start mining the ore for it one your deposit has cleared or something?
    The ford was 12 months...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am planning to upgrade soon and it won't be an agricultural vehicle
    Good luck with that then!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Bought the Kombi. Deal too good to turn down.

Just hope I like driving a van....
    22 weeks wait isn't great though. They start mining the ore for it one your deposit has cleared or something?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You still thrashing the guts out of your Pug then cherryboy?

I am planning to upgrade soon and it won't be an agricultural vehicle

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    FTFY
    You still thrashing the guts out of your Pug then cherryboy?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    If its for farmland use then the only option is a Defender. You can buy some Jap/Asian bucket but the defender has as nearly as long a history as a 911 even 20 year old ones change hands for a few grand... Of course you could also look at a G-Waggon
    It needs to double as a 'safe' family car too, and having owned a SIII 109 before, they aren't. I mean, put the kids in the back, tow a trailer and drive a 1000 miles to a gites kind of safe and comfy. Plus, they are ludicrously expensive, for what they are. A well specc'd 110 county is well over 30k.

Land Rover Defender, the plans for the DC100 have been put on hold so there is no replacement. They're VAT qualifying and if you join the NFU you can get another 5% off any price you negotiate with the dealer.
    DC100 has been put on hold, and will replace the defender, as in 2015, the defender will no longer pass any of the stricter laws coming in.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I regularly drive the roads around the South Hams, as well as much of the rest of Devon and Cornwall. I used to have a Mitsubishi Warrior and replaced it with a Hilux 3 years ago. The Hilux is better than the Warrior overall, but both are fairly pants off-road really. If you are planning to spend much time off-road my advice would be to get a Landy, unless you want to get stuck of course.
    You can probably get a bargain for the reasons you state, that they are planning to replace existing models.

HTH
    Thanks SB. The land isn't going to be farmed, per se, more 'worked' by animals. I will have M+S tyres on it, and diff locks, so it should be fine, for what I want. I did toy with keeping the GL and buying an old Pajero or Shogun, something like that, but it doesn't make good sense.

Gone for the VW as we'll be tooing and fromming the beach, and boat yards, more that pitching it across fields. And with diff locks, and the right tyres, it should cope....

I hope, just put a deposit on it....

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    I am leaning towards the Kombi 4Motion with Diff locks.
    Are you going to turn it into a monster truck?
    Let us know when you get stuck in your new field. There are plenty of greenlaners around here never seen them use one of those before

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Bought the Kombi. Deal too good to turn down.

Just hope I like driving a van....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X