• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interesting article"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And exactly how do you expect that would help maintain IT contractors jobs?
    duh, Become a mentat

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Will these do instead?

and to sell

http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/...ng_image42.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    It links on to a Grauniad article which says "Moshe Vardi, a computer scientist at Rice University, asks if we are ready for a world in which half the adult population does not work. "

Well Moshe, it's already like that in western Europe and no, we aren't ready for it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    That Zeroth Law is a real problem.
    I might need a while to think about this, but I sort of see the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Would robots be able to have their morals lowered enough to work with pimps?
    Dunno, but I know a chappy who studied philosophy and then computer science and he's researching decision systems that involve turning various philosophers' ideas into algorithms for his PhD. He's a bit loopy, so the decisions might be scary.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Very interesting article. Thanks for the link.

OH, you'd better build an effing big wall around your small-holding, come the revolution!
    I have often thought about what I would do were this to actually happen, and I think you’d have to agree to some sort of collective, in order to stay safe.

Certainly glad I have a couple of guns...

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Would robots be able to have their morals lowered enough to work with pimps?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Very interesting article. Thanks for the link.

OH, you'd better build an effing big wall around your small-holding, come the revolution!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I am not worried. Just as happy taking my 20% from robots. In fact they are probably more interesting than contractors over lunch... anyone for oil??
    They probably are more interesting, but you may struggle to extract your cheap Chinese meal and fag money before doing a bunk out of the ladies' toilet window.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You're safe. Nobody is developing robotic leeches
    Thanks, I'm off to get rich on that idea.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I am not worried. Just as happy taking my 20% from robots. In fact they are probably more interesting than contractors over lunch... anyone for oil??
    You're safe. Nobody is developing robotic leeches

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I went to an exhibition of clientco's products yesterday; lots of stuff like airport baggage systems, industrial conveyor systems, package sorting, robots and so on. It made it pretty clear to me that the future for low skilled manual workers looks very bleak indeed, and even the mid range skills are threatened; before long it'll take one bloke monitoring a screen remotely plus one guy in customs and one labourer to pick up anything that falls off machines (not much) to run all the baggage for a whole airport. Even the job of the guys who put irregular shaped bags in containers is going to be lost. I'm already learning a bit about industrial automation (PLC and so on) and I think that will have quite a big future and basically wipe out a lot of jobs. Glad to be getting some industrial automation experience now.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I do think that the current capitalism will implode. It actually requires the majority of people to have money in order to consume, so it's fairly obvious that the redistribution of wealth to the wealthy that valuing capital over labour causes is unsustainable.

I'd also suggest that, considering capital as a commodity, the concentration of capital leads to a virtual cartel which means it's artificially overpriced.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    This may sound tin foil hat material, but the reason for the purchase of the small holding, and the reason we’ve been rearing, and killing, turkeys for a couple of years, is that I didn’t know if I could do it. I worried, that if it all did go tits up in the world, I’d last about a week without electricity and shops. Glad I have proven I can kill, gut, pluck and cook anything, as I think it may be a skill that returns. I can shoot, skin and gut most animals now and once we’re less reliant on the grid for power, and we can grow enough veggies, rear enough animals, I’ll be a lot happier; whilst that article was quite bleak in parts, I actually thought it a good read.

I’ll be much happier once the family can do it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X