• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would Jesus do?"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Jesus would have shouted 'REMEMBER RORKES DRIFT' , then stuck the 'ead on him, then beat a hasty.

so thats exactly what I would do too

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I would have asked how far they were trying to get, then put that amount of fuel in their tank and paid for it myself. As a random act of kindness.
    I agree with NAT. Give them what you could afford to lose in exchange for a promise to do the same for another stranger. Saves suspicion and the feeling you've been ripped off.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I had an absolute stunner approach me outside Bromley train station with a kid in tow...asked me for the price of a ticket home so her husband wouldn't beat her up for being late!
    I suggested we go to the ticket booth where I would buy her and sprog a ticket which she declined wanting the cash instead...cheeky fooker was a pikey on the scrounge.. stunning looks though
    I once had a guy approach me wanting money for a cup of tea. Looked down and out so and on his knees, so I said I'm just going to McDonalds and I would get him a tea and a Burger. He said "can I have the money instead?".

FFS

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I'd give anyone the benefit of the doubt if it's a couple of quid but in most cases they are just scammers.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I don't trust agents. Likewise I don't ask people at train stations who ask for money for a ticket as 99% of the time the conversation is like this:

Man at Euston: "I've been robbed of my wallet and need a ticket to Coulsdon. Can you help?"
    Me loudly "Yeah. None of the trains here go there."
    Man looks p*ssed off and scurries away.
    Reminds me of a conversation I had with an agent when turning down a gig:
    me: it's 3 hours from my house
    agent: it's only an hour and a half from Euston
    me: Do you think I live there? The only people who live in euston station are tramps. It takes me 90 minutes to get there.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I will have you know that some of my best agents are from Asia and Africa
    I don't trust agents. Likewise I don't ask people at train stations who ask for money for a ticket as 99% of the time the conversation is like this:

Man at Euston: "I've been robbed of my wallet and need a ticket to Coulsdon. Can you help?"
    Me loudly "Yeah. None of the trains here go there."
    Man looks p*ssed off and scurries away.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

If the people carrier was truly full, there would have been enough of them to push it easily to the next garage

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Particularly relevant in this instance

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Very often you can test for validity. For example I was once approached at Clapham Junction and asked for money for a taxi to Roehampton. I just replied that by happy coincidence I was getting a taxi to Roehampton as well, and I'd be happy to give him a lift.
    He declined.
    Anyone who wasn't on the blag would just walk it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Very often you can test for validity. For example I was once approached at Clapham Junction and asked for money for a taxi to Roehampton. I just replied that by happy coincidence I was getting a taxi to Roehampton as well, and I'd be happy to give him a lift.
    He declined.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Experience has taught me that "nice middle class" people are the type to rip you off.
    I will have you know that some of my best agents are from Asia and Africa

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    If it was a nice middle class family in a Mercedes would you have gave them your card?
    More likely yes. And before anyone shrieks prejudice let me explain:

Our minds are conditioned to react to different experiences. If we see a bunch of threatening looking youths walking in the other direction and a little old lady walking along at the other side of the road our brain will automatically tell us which is safer so we will more likely feel comfortable on the side of the road of the little old lady.

It is the way the human mind learns to avoid risk.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think He would have better sense than to use an electric car.
    I think his preferred mode of transport was the donkey.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    If it was a nice middle class family in a Mercedes would you have gave them your card?
    Experience has taught me that "nice middle class" people are the type to rip you off.

As already stated it would have been worth giving them £10 of fuel which should be enough to get them to a 24 hour manned garage.

BTW it could have been a test - did you check for any cameras?

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X