• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""Who the F"ck are you"?"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    If anyone persists after "I'm not interested and don't phone again" they will get told to **** off.
    Because I do it myself I am never rude to people who cold call. I have a garage full of water softeners to prove it.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    If anyone persists after "I'm not interested and don't phone again" they will get told to **** off.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    "Hello, is that Mrs Mudskipper?"

"Yes"

"My name is Martin and I'm calling to tell you how you can save money"

"I'm not interested"

"You're not interested in saving money?"

"I'm not interested in whatever you're selling"

"How do you know you're not interested if you don't know what I'm selling?"

"Because if its something that interests me I already know about it, so don't need it selling to me."

"Err..."
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    "Hello, is that Mrs Mudskipper?"

"Yes"

"My name is Martin and I'm calling to tell you how you can save money"

"I'm not interested"

"You're not interested in saving money?"

"I'm not interested in whatever you're selling"

"How do you know you're not interested if you don't know what I'm selling?"

"Well, let me tell you about the things I am interested in, and you can tell me if you're selling one of them."

"Err..."

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    You go to a CxO with solutions not questions.

Talk to the manager/lower bod get an understanding of the issues suggest a solution to the manager and offer to present it as his work to the CxO as a bound solution.

simples!
    I have found my replacement.. here are the keys to the bank account..... You will need a paying in book

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    DA, have things fallen to such hard times you are thinking of taking advice from Suity?
    I will try anything

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I called a senior supervisor at a Tesco Filling Station this morning and he was annoyed that someone should "cold call him" he then sneered at my company when I gave him the name, so I said that we were a small business and did not have a budget for large TV advertising campaigns. I then asked if I should maybe adopt some of his own company methods of selling products. Like what he asked? I said "should I maybe employ some scantily clad totty, stand them outside the head office and offer "promotions".

he failed to see the humour
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    I called a senior manager at a well know Oil company this morning and he was annoyed that someone should "cold call him" he then sneered at my company when I gave him the name, so I said that we were a small business and did not have a budget for large TV advertising campaigns. I then asked if I should maybe adopt some of his own company methods of selling products. Like what he asked? I said "should I maybe employ some scantily clad totty, stand them outside the head office and offer "promotions".

You are not thick enough to be an Agent.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Senior manager? No wonder you're struggling. What's wrong with the CIO first
    You go to a CxO with solutions not questions.

Talk to the manager/lower bod get an understanding of the issues suggest a solution to the manager and offer to present it as his work to the CxO as a bound solution.

simples!

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Interesting. I used to do cold calling years ago before I got into IT. I was selling double glazing door to door. I expect Dodgy is familiar with this

Was quite good at it, earning £20/hour commission.

My question is about rates. Gigs I do at the moment average £350/day, through agencies. How much of an uplift could I get on that by cold calling and (hopefully) getting my own clients? Is the time taken in the cold calling paid back in terms of increased rates?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Senior manager? No wonder you're struggling. What's wrong with the CIO first

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Was this a call to the Royal Dutch one or the What's that leaking all over the Gulf of Mexico one?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    You could have pointed out that clearly he doesn't have the type of staff he needs otherwise the guts of his companies IP would not be laying around on pastebin thanks to the efforts of Anon to save the arctic last year

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    DA, have things fallen to such hard times you are thinking of taking advice from Suity?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I called a senior manager at a well know Oil company this morning and he was annoyed that someone should "cold call him" he then sneered at my company when I gave him the name, so I said that we were a small business and did not have a budget for large TV advertising campaigns. I then asked if I should maybe adopt some of his own company methods of selling products. Like what he asked? I said "should I maybe employ some scantily clad totty, stand them outside the head office and offer "promotions".

Hats off dodgy!

My cold calling usually goes like this :

Suity : "Hi I'm calling from SuityCo, I was wondering if ....."

Snotty twerp : "We don't take cold calls"

Suity : "Do you ever make cold calls?"

Snotty twerp : "Sorry?"

Suity : "I'm just trying to earn a living here. You have no idea what I'm offering and already dismissing me at the first pass. All I'm saying is that to get work, you must also sell to other businesses and that will involve a certain amount of cold calling also"

This has a 50/50 win rate.

Sometimes, they see the absurdity of their argument and then relax a little. Sometimes it's curtains but worth the try.

Cold calling is horrible at the best of times. Again, hats off Dodgy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X