• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Psychics and ouija boards"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I expect astrology uses technology to crunch the star charts.
    Probably easier to randomly generate incredibly vague widely applicable predictions directly.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Some spirit manifestations are supposed to be indicated by a fall in temperature so a thermometer is a sort of ghost detector. If you could attract enough ghosts into a box in your kitchen you wouldn't have to buy a fridge. Not sure what attracts ghosts, cheese doesn't work.
    I believe gullibility works. The psychics will get a message for someone with "c" or "m" or possibly Euros.

I think DoggyStyles is on to a winner here though.

Edit: Oops. I meant xoggoth is on to a winner.
    Last edited by Zippy; 29 May 2013, 15:47.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    No need - there's dozens of free ones already.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Bingo!

Augmented reality app, showing ghostly figures walking about when near to churches, graveyards and famouse haunted houses.

People would buy that*

* stupid people, of which there are many.
    I'd buy it.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Or an app that uses geolocation data overlaying a map to show white spots slowly moving round cemeteries.

Nobody who went there would actually see anything, unless they imagined it. But you can't be blamed if the oafs are too insensitive to detect spirits of the departed.
    Bingo!

Augmented reality app, showing ghostly figures walking about when near to churches, graveyards and famouse haunted houses.

People would buy that*

* stupid people, of which there are many.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of reporting random 'detections'.

You're walking not far from a graveyard at night. Your Android suddenly beeps. You look at it. It reports an ethereal presence 50 yards away to the north-east.

What it does after that depends on how much you want to risk a lawsuit for scaring someone sh1tless.
    Or an app that uses geolocation data overlaying a map to show white spots slowly moving round cemeteries.

Nobody who went there would actually see anything, unless they imagined it. But you can't be blamed if the oafs are too insensitive to detect spirits of the departed.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Some spirit manifestations are supposed to be indicated by a fall in temperature so a thermometer is a sort of ghost detector. If you could attract enough ghosts into a box in your kitchen you wouldn't have to buy a fridge. Not sure what attracts ghosts, cheese doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Well phones have EMF detectors in the sense of the signal strength measurement, so any strange change in signal strength could be a ghost.

Then there is the microphone, so pickup ghost sounds and the camera to "see" ghosts.

So a smart phone and app would make a great ghost hunter device.

I'm sold, when can I buy it?
    Well that might work, but what I meant was that the app simply made it up. It could hook in to GPS so it knew you were close to a likely haunting spot, like a graveyard, and it has access to a clock and calendar so it knows when it is dark in whatever country you are in.

So all in all, it doesn't detect anything really, just provides hours and hours of poo-inducing fun.

xog, I'm doing all your BA work for you here.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

You're walking not far from a graveyard at night. Your Android suddenly beeps. You look at it. It reports an ethereal presence 50 yards away to the north-east.

What it does after that depends on how much you want to risk a lawsuit for scaring someone sh1tless.
    Well phones have EMF detectors in the sense of the signal strength measurement, so any strange change in signal strength could be a ghost.

Then there is the microphone, so pickup ghost sounds and the camera to "see" ghosts.

So a smart phone and app would make a great ghost hunter device.

I'm sold, when can I buy it?

PS.

If it can detect global warming as well, I'd pay double

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    There was a fashion, when I was a yonker, for people to claim that they had been abducted by aliens. Then it was the fashion to be born into a new body, but still be able to speak fluent middle english, or whatever.
    The only fashion I didnt really like, because it preyed on vulnerable people, was the psychics. getting in touch with the departed. My first missus used to believe in all that stuff, she used to send off to get her horoscope done, cost a bloomimg fortune.

telling ghost stories in the dark in the back shed, and wondering if the ouija board was going to put us in touch with the spirits
    Ha! Used to do the old Quija board thing when we were about 13 - 14. Great fun. And no one was pushing the glass!

Used to tulip myself cycling home afterwards though!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Why has the supernatural never caught up with technology? I think I might start working on an Android ghost detection app, I think it would sell rather well.
    I expect astrology uses technology to crunch the star charts.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Photo of your palm and app makes a reading.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Why has the supernatural never caught up with technology? I think I might start working on an Android ghost detection app, I think it would sell rather well.
    I think you are on to something there. Really.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X