• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House prices are BOOMING!!!!!!!!1"

Collapse

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Well, frankly, she isn't much to write home about...

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I really enjoyed Sarah Beeny's prog last night.

She'd found a new ager who was concerned about putting crystals under the floorboards and taking all the internal walls out of 3 stories of her house.

And a pair of space cadets (one was an astronomer) who were into recycling bits of tat out of skips....

Mind boggling.
    You were watching Sarah Beeny and that's all you remembered from the programme?

Young lizards of today and all that...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I did hear on the grapevine that the Government was thinking of recognising families with multiple husbands, who would then share the burden of a mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I really enjoyed Sarah Beeny's prog last night.

She'd found a new ager who was concerned about putting crystals under the floorboards and taking all the internal walls out of 3 stories of her house.

And a pair of space cadets (one was an astronomer) who were into recycling bits of tat out of skips....

Mind boggling.
    Don't you get the feeling that these people are victims of school's insistence that the science curriculum is too expensive and could lead to lower performance results and hence should be scrapped?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    House prices - "To infinity and beyond!"

Sounds better than "We're doomed!"

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    It's incredible. Think, in 100 yrs, the average 3 bed semi can be paid off and the equity would be enough to buy a small 3rd world country or large tropical island.

Everyone in the UK will have the wealth of Bill Gates.

All through the diligence and skill of Gordon Brown. Gawd bless im.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    ...well I've finally capitulated, for the last three years I've been waiting for a housing crash, but it aint going to happen, I now predict that house prices will rise indefinitely at 10% a year.

Heck if I lived in the UK I wouldn't work I'd just live off the capital increases take out bigger mortgages, paying off the bigger mortgage with an even bigger mortgage the following year.
    With your ability to read the market I am now considering selling. If beans agrees with you I am selling and moving abroad.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Don't you get the feeling that your "perceived wealth" isn't worth quite as much as it was ten years ago? Perhaps fractional reserve banking has something to do with it...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    House prices - "To infinity and beyond!"

Sounds better than "We're doomed!"

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...well I've finally capitulated, for the last three years I've been waiting for a housing crash, but it aint going to happen, I now predict that house prices will rise indefinitely at 10% a year.

Heck if I lived in the UK I wouldn't work I'd just live off the capital increases take out bigger mortgages, paying off the bigger mortgage with an even bigger mortgage the following year.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    The next step is to introduce 100 year or family mortgages that can be passed on to your kids.
    Yes, happened in Japan with a low/zero interest rate, slowdown in consumer spending economy. No reason why it shouldn't happen here.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Don't laugh: the Ruskies did that to the Hungarians.

re: 8% - with wage rises ~ 3% you would expect a market correction/slowdown unless of course there is pressure on demand, such as immigration.
    The correction has been avoided due to lenders changing policy.
    According to a report I read on the BBC yesterday (cant be arsed to find it again for a link) lenders are now willing to loan 6 times salary as opposed to the 2.5 it used to be. This is allowing the bubble to expand.
    Obviously this can't go on forever. The next step is to introduce 100 year or family mortgages that can be passed on to your kids.

As long as mortgages are affordable the price will keep on rising.
    Apparently all the pointers for a stable economy for the lenders are good. Low inflation, steady/low unemployment and steady interest rates are all part of it.
    <Anybody else see a slight problem here?>

Dont shout at me I am only relaying what I read.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    That is until the New Lie in 2010 bring in the "home ownership fairness initiative legislation" which means all homes are snatched by the government and then handed to the 15,000,000 asylum seekers.
    Don't laugh: the Ruskies did that to the Hungarians.

re: 8% - with wage rises ~ 3% you would expect a market correction/slowdown unless of course there is pressure on demand, such as immigration.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    What's interesting is over the same period, average pay WILL NOT match 8%, making home ownership less and less affordable.

That is until the New Lie in 2010 bring in the "home ownership fairness initiative legislation" which means all homes are snatched by the government and then handed to the 15,000,000 asylum seekers.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Average house prices in England could rise from £195,000 to nearly £290,000 by 2011, research from Oxford Economic Forecasting (OEF) has said.
    On a back of the fag packet calculation that works out as just 8% per year.

The numbers sound nice, but I'm in two minds as to whether anyone should get excited about it.

On the HIP side of things, does this mean NL might actually consider bringing in something useful instead?
    Last edited by Joe Black; 19 July 2006, 19:21.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X