• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Linked In Endorsements"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Seems he hates his job so is "connecting, endorsing - ass-licking" everyone he can find on LinkedIn in the hope of finding a new one.
    Seen this too many times - there is also a lot of you endorse me & I'll reciprocate thing going on - I neither accept nor give out endorsements

Originally posted by istvan View Post
    3) By leaving LinkedIn nothing is gained. I got contracts through LinkedIn before,
    Agreed it's too useful a tool for contracts to ignore these days

Leave a comment:

• istvan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Can you switch off endorsements?

Also can you add in endorsement terms? Could you add one like 'dickhead' and endorse people with that?

I noticed an agent today who had lots of programming language endorsements, I don't know where to begin with that.
    This is what I do with endorsements:

1) I only endorse someone I know, or someone I networked with for a while and know their skills.

2) I manage my endorsements, such that skills that I want to highlight are on the top. You can do this by hiding some endorsements from random people and thus your skills that are less important to you will be shown lower on the register. You can also entirely delete a skill if you wish.

3) By leaving LinkedIn nothing is gained. I got contracts through LinkedIn before, so I will stay put and manage my image by removing spammers, looking at potential decision-makers, networking with relevant people, etc.

Leave a comment:

• istvan
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I give and get endorsement when they are deserved, but of course this can't be guaranteed across the globe.
    LinkedIN as a whole is very useful - you can usually look up your hiring manager and play to their strengths and experience during the interview, for example, "do you remember how we had to code using punch cards, now that was hard and this job will be easy for me compared to that" and so I got the job, even though I only spent like a couple of days with a punch card operated mainframe...
    Hmmmm, was I sucked into time-warp time travel? Punch cards? Not even I remember that and I am not a kid either...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    How to Turn Off LinkedIn Endorsements - CIO.com

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Can you switch off endorsements?

Also can you add in endorsement terms? Could you add one like 'dickhead' and endorse people with that?

I noticed an agent today who had lots of programming language endorsements, I don't know where to begin with that.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I know we've talked about these before but I've just had one, for something I do actually do
    Well, I ignored your thread all day (nothing personal, BTW. )

And then, one hour ago, someone "endorses" me on LinkedIn for the first time.

For the life of me I didn't know why, so dropped him a message. Seems he hates his job so is "connecting, endorsing - ass-licking" everyone he can find on LinkedIn in the hope of finding a new one.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    You have been in cloggers too long you kinky bitch!
    you don't need to go to cloggers to be kinky

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Endorsements and recommendations are very different beasts and anyone who uses LI will be aware of how much each are worth...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    No, a strap on (for DP of course!)
    You have been in cloggers too long you kinky bitch!

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    I give and get endorsement when they are deserved, but of course this can't be guaranteed across the globe.
    LinkedIN as a whole is very useful - you can usually look up your hiring manager and play to their strengths and experience during the interview, for example, "do you remember how we had to code using punch cards, now that was hard and this job will be easy for me compared to that" and so I got the job, even though I only spent like a couple of days with a punch card operated mainframe...

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I know we've talked about these before but I've just had one, for something I do actually do
    Yes I had this, but from a couple of people that couldn't possibly have known that I had some small skill in those areas.
    I'm starting to think Bolshie has a point.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Not again!

Please stop hurting me girls!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Bog roll?

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Oh, and was willing to bring own equipment too.
    Bog roll?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Im considering closing my LI account. The recommendation system is utterly worthless now (if it was worth anything before).

I also 'culled' about 20 agents from my contacts recently since despite contacting them over the last few months, not one of them has come back with any worthwhile leads. So they are gone!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X