• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "As SY01 problems go"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I was in Gütersloh with the forces ... nice place
    Not too many of them now though. I worked there on and off as a consultant at Bertelsmann, some of the people were right pillocks, mainly the external consultants and that includes the ones from the company I was working for.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Is this a MEMEME thread ? I cant make up my mind.

I like it that SY is now whipping the collective German asses but I dont want to hear about it every time he solves a problem.
    I only started the one thread dude.

The only other thread was about my car, and that was yonks ago.

Two Suity problem threads in 6 weeks? That's not bad going, and certainly not excessive, so, ummm, how can I put this.

^^^^

Kiss it!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I'm foaming and babbling for a change

For clarity :

There is their environment. VM somewhere in the cloud. It was allegedly not touched since ages. Later I found out that only last week they reinstalled the BPM tool, which did rather make me wonder why the initial finger pointing was at me. In terms of windows updates, none since 2011.
    There are wider problems with this machine which is why I'm staying off it. The finger pointing rather shocked me.

Then there is my environment. A VM, running on my little laptop. Been as good as gold, until the day of the microsoft updates.

I can scrape .net 4 off and reinstall, but what is best practice? Bearing in mind there is IIS7, with app pools that use is, VS2010 and SQL Server 2008 (although I believe this uses .net 3.5sp1).

Really appreciate your help eek, can't wait to meet up for the next hog roast to buy you a half to say thanks

Sql server is .net 3.5 so shouldn't be impacted.

VS2010 is .net4. From memory removing and reinstalling .net 4 is possible without it insisting on VS2010 being removed so it should be doable but I haven't tried it in years.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Just one small point I'd like to make.

I don't care.

HTH BIDI

Yes, and eek does. Which is why he's ten times the man you'll ever be.

Are you short?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Is this a MEMEME thread ? I cant make up my mind.

I like it that SY is now whipping the collective German asses but I dont want to hear about it every time he solves a problem.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Just one small point I'd like to make.

I don't care.

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    There's the problem and I thought you said it was an environment that hadn't been updated.

You need to trash the .net 4 framework and reinstall it.
    I'm foaming and babbling for a change

For clarity :

There is their environment. VM somewhere in the cloud. It was allegedly not touched since ages. Later I found out that only last week they reinstalled the BPM tool, which did rather make me wonder why the initial finger pointing was at me. In terms of windows updates, none since 2011.
    There are wider problems with this machine which is why I'm staying off it. The finger pointing rather shocked me.

Then there is my environment. A VM, running on my little laptop. Been as good as gold, until the day of the microsoft updates.

I can scrape .net 4 off and reinstall, but what is best practice? Bearing in mind there is IIS7, with app pools that use is, VS2010 and SQL Server 2008 (although I believe this uses .net 3.5sp1).

Really appreciate your help eek, can't wait to meet up for the next hog roast to buy you a half to say thanks
    Last edited by suityou01; 16 May 2013, 09:17. Reason: fookin schpelink again :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    There is still the wider problem of why I cannot set breakpoints, and bizarrely it stopped working for me on the same day a bunch of windows updates for the .net framework 4 were downloaded to my dev vm.
    There's the problem and I thought you said it was an environment that hadn't been updated.

You need to trash the .net 4 framework and reinstall it.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    It's not too bad. Weird mix of building types within such a short space, heavy industry and 16th century buildings is a weird mix.
    Then I stay in Avenwedde, and there's bunnys frolicking in a field in front of the house and a cracking little Italian within walking distance so I'm as happy as a pig in tulipe.
    Last edited by suityou01; 16 May 2013, 08:56. Reason: schpelink

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    So we found the problem with the dev environment. The 64 bit version of csc.exe was reporting as 0 bytes. This was replaced with a valid version from another dev environment as low, all is well.

What causes this kind of crap during normal usage?

There is still the wider problem of why I cannot set breakpoints, and bizarrely it stopped working for me on the same day a bunch of windows updates for the .net framework 4 were downloaded to my dev vm.

So I'm stripping them off one by one and retesting to see if symbols start working again.

Then onto the most excellent suggestion from the Right Honourable CUKer Eek, on creating a 32bit VM.

Switching the app pools to 32 bit didn't make a difference, sadly.

I remember the good old days, VB6, com+ and SQL Server 2000. All this .net malarky is far to flaky

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Have there been any changes to the environment in years (including the build environment).

I think your safest approach would be to get a 32bit VM environment up asap. Its not quick but it could take days to work out how to fix the mess you are currently in.
    Agree. It's already taken a week.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I did try that. The "Allow 32 bit" apps on the pool. Didn't seem to make a difference. Do I need to restart IIS do you think?

I just hosed their main development environment. All I did was deploy my code and spend 1hr 30 mins debugging it, normal usage.

"Suity, this environment has been in use for years, vot did you do, zis is not funny"

Have there been any changes to the environment in years (including the build environment).

I think your safest approach would be to get a 32bit VM environment up asap. Its not quick but it could take days to work out how to fix the mess you are currently in.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    What operating system and .net framework?

If its hitting iis you need to configure the application pool to be 32bit rather than its default 64bit state.
    I did try that. The "Allow 32 bit" apps on the pool. Didn't seem to make a difference. Do I need to restart IIS do you think?

I just hosed their main development environment. All I did was deploy my code and spend 1hr 30 mins debugging it, normal usage.

"Suity, this environment has been in use for years, vot did you do, zis is not funny"

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    It is a 64 bit VM.

It doesn't make the app 64 bit. The 32 bit app runs under a thunking layer called wow6432 or somesuch.
    What operating system and .net framework?

If its hitting iis you need to configure the application pool to be 32bit rather than its default 64bit state.
    Last edited by eek; 15 May 2013, 13:03.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X