• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shifting Mortgage to credit card"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Not only credit card debt, if you have a 15k limit with a zero balance you effectively still have a 15k debt in their eyes.
    Where can I read about this, that's mental.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Ok so for 5k that is £200/year which is £400 over the 2 year duration. £400 extra in my pocket is worth the 10 mins it will take me to do the transfer.

In addition to that it is going to bring down the interest rate I will have to pay to the bank due to the LTV. there we are talking about much larger amounts of money.....
    Well it's £400 less the £145 transfer fee. Personally I would pay off the existing debt on there, which reduces minimum payment and improves your cashflow. An extra £50 in your pocket every month for two years is pretty handy, can be used to pay down the debt or your mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Doesn't this mean your debt is growing ever larger as you are not paying the interest and providers generally charge 3% of the outstanding balance when you switch to a 0% offer - you'er not paying but it's looming ever larger.
    So companies such as RBS, MBNA etc require minimum payment of 1%/month. So generally you will pay off in the region of 20% over 2 years. The fee was only 2.9% so you are still paying off a chunk of it. Companies such as Barclaycard require 2% minimum payment, so you will be paying it off twice as fast as in the above example....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Been transferring credit cards since my uni days. Always have a direct debit set-up with minimum payment. Never had a late payment. When 24 months is over I will simply transfer to another credit card - as I have been doing for many years.
    Doesn't this mean your debt is growing ever larger as you are not paying the interest and providers generally charge 3% of the outstanding balance when you switch to a 0% offer - you'er not paying but it's looming ever larger.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    WHS.

They will pickup all loans and credit card debts and subtract that from any equity and deposit on a mortgage, as this debt is included along with the mortgage debt when calculating LTV.

So, really, apart from a few hundred quid saved (do it for that purpose if it makes you happy), there's no point.
    Not only credit card debt, if you have a 15k limit with a zero balance you effectively still have a 15k debt in their eyes.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You sad pathetic old man.
    Alexei, there is more to life than collecting Meerkat puppets you know.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You tell him how many HDD you have now.

Lost count, but should be well over 1000 now, I am about to place order for 80 more today

Oh wait

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You tell him how many HDD you have now.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I've moved onto collecting Avios, Hilton Points and BA miles now.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Sounds like MF aka "Credit Card Tart" will never get a mortgage
    I've moved onto collecting Avios, Hilton Points and BA miles now.

It's 12500 points for a case of 12 bottles of wine.
    I've got 1/2 million points, 20 free stays at a Hilton and six business class flights anywhere in the world

(Pity i don't have anytime to do any of 'em :-( )

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Stoozed for donkeys years. Estimate that I've made on average £1200 or so every year since around 2000. Used to put a lot of my shop stock purchases on cash back cards then balance transfer them.

Having had an offset mortgage at initially 6% it was a great way to get cheap money. For a while transfers were interest free so it literally was money for nothing. Then the fees increased 1,1.5 and these days 2.9%

Now it's not become worthwhile for me and I've now been reducing down my cards. I had around £48k on cards last year but now you cannot get more than the transfer fee I've reduced to £20k and ill pay the last two off as opposed to transferring them on renewal.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    The point is, before, that would see your credit check marked as good, as you had the debt, and were repaying it on time. However, now, it is looked at different i.e. he has more debt.

can yuo appreciate the difference in how the two debts are now looked at? One positively, the other negatively.
    Makes sense now, but again it's not like it's 40 grand or some large amount is it?

any links I can read?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Surely clearing your debts before applying for a mortgage sorts this worry out?

It's not like I'm carrying 40 grand at a time.

Repaying 5k on 0% deal over time is hardly the same as being in massive debt.

I picked up this technique from Martin Lewis and I don't his site tells you this is a problem (or certainly, it didn't in the past!!)
    The point is, before, that would see your credit check marked as good, as you had the debt, and were repaying it on time. However, now, it is looked at different i.e. he has more debt.

can yuo appreciate the difference in how the two debts are now looked at? One positively, the other negatively.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Nothing wrong with that game, just don't expect the mainstream mortgage lenders to turn a blind eye to it, that's all.
    Surely clearing your debts before applying for a mortgage sorts this worry out?

It's not like I'm carrying 40 grand at a time.

Repaying 5k on 0% deal over time is hardly the same as being in massive debt.

I picked up this technique from Martin Lewis and I don't his site tells you this is a problem (or certainly, it didn't in the past!!)

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    I have a couple of credit cards on interest free and it just makes no sense for me to pay them off - I have 2 credit card on 24 month 0% for a 2.9% balance transfer fee..... That has got to count as pretty much free money.... I had 2 get the 2 to pay off an existing one. I have a few thousand spare on one of them and was considering whether it would be worthwhile shifting a small amount of my mortgage onto it - it may also bring me closer to 70% LTV which will make my re-mortgage cheaper...

Has anybody else found credit cards very useful in such circumstances?
    Depends who your card issuer is. Many card issuers have got wise to those just doing BT's and leave it sitting at zero percent interest.

Many are now profiling card accounts and upping the minimum monthly payment to 25 quid or 1% of the balance. They also reprice the interest rates on spending, sign up or else no further spending on your car(s).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X